Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
jeffabruce
My Device: Various
My Carrier: None

Basic questions while exploring widget development

I see in the 'config.xml' file documentation there is a place for description, author info, license, etc. However, I don't see any way using the BB UI to view that information in an application installed on a BB device. I'm not an experienced BB user, so perhaps I'm missing something. FWIW, I'm just using the simulator for a BB 9000, not an actual BB device.

While checking out some of the docs I believe I saw an API that made this info available to a widget developer. So, I'm assuming this info is actually embedded in the compiled COD file and would therefore be available to the user. Is that the only way to view the info, to actually write code to retrieve it and display it? I guess I expected there to be some way of choosing an application/widget and saying "show me the properties of this application" where you would see description, author, licensing, etc. And, if links were included (like the href attribute in the license tag), then those links would be clickable.

Thanks for your help.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Basic questions while exploring widget development

Hi There,

Some of the information added in the config.xml is visible in the Applications list.  You can view this list by going to the Options -> Applications area.  When you view the details of the applications in this list you will see the information displayed.

Other bits of that information are at your disposal to display to your user using the JavaScript API.

Cheers

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jeffabruce

Yes, that's basically the functionality I was looking for.

I don't see anything about licensing, so does that mean if you want any licensing info to be available to your users, you must code something using the JS API?

I just found it a little odd that licensing info would not be shown, yet there is a "hash" of some sort that is shown. I'm not sure what the user would do with this "hash" info...

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Yes, if you want to prompt your user with a license agreement you will have to do so using the JavaScript APIs.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jeffabruce

OK. Thanks.

I didn't so much want to prompt them, rather, just wanted any licensing information to be available to them. If there was a "standard way" of providing that, I'd like to know about it. Sounds like there is not, so I would need to build it into my app.

Out of curiosity, are there tools/apps/sites (perhaps App World) that read/use the licensing data compiled into the the Widget? Otherwise, I'm not sure what the point is of having this kind of data specified in the config.xml file since it can't be viewed by anyone.

Perhaps the documentation should say something about which tags are required, recommended, optional, only used if app is coded to use it, etc.

Please use plain text.