Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

BlackBerry Development Advisor
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook

BlackBerry Signing Tool for Tablet OS Now Live!

The deadline for the free BlackBerry PlayBook offer is fast approaching. Whether you already submitted your app, or you plan to soon, your app needs to be signed before it can be accepted into BlackBerry App World.

We’re excited to announce that you can now sign apps using the latest version of the Tablet OS SDK. Below is a quick overview of how to get started with application signing on the Tablet OS. Be sure you have installed the most recent version of either the BlackBerry Tablet OS SDK for Adobe AIR, or the BlackBerry WebWorks SDK for Tablet OS. You can download the latest version of either SDK from http://us.blackberry.com/developers/tablet/.

Before you start signing your application, you have to register with the RIM Signing Authority. Fill out the web form at https://www.blackberry.com/SignedKeys. Registration is free, but you need a credit card to complete the registration process. A $1 hold will be placed on your account to verify the credit card. The hold is released after your credit card company accepts the transaction. The hold will not appear on your monthly bill. When the registration process is complete, you receive a CSJ registration file via email.

Instructions on signing your application can be found here:

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
Developer
tags07
My Device: BB Style

Re: BlackBerry Signing Tool for Tablet OS Now Live!

How do you sign a webworks app using CMD? There seems to be two different instructions:

Instruction1: http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/23977/Configure_signing_for_tablet_application...

I tried the above instruction and keep getting the following error when i execute the bbwp command with my passwords:

[ERROR]                 Cannot sign application - failed to find signing keys

Is there a way to specify the location of my keys with bbwp? Or does bbwp expect the keys at a certain location?

Instruction2: http://us.blackberry.com/developers/tablet/webworks.jsp

The link for code signing points to same procedure as for Flex/AS based TabletOS apps.

It fails with this error:

barsigner error: server error: Code signing request failed because Entry-Point-Type value is not recognized.

Anyone has successfully signed a webworks app
Please use plain text.
Contributor
kreiach
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

I purchased developer keys a couple weeks ago and received three .csi files. Can I use these? If so, how?

Are the keys different for phones and playbook?

Can I compile and sign with the Webworks SDK for Visual Studio, and still be eligible for the free playbook offer?

If I need to order new keys, do I also have to once again supply the notarized form? 

Please use plain text.
Developer
ProfHawking
My Device: 8300>9000>9700>9900>Z10

[ Edited ]

I'm having the same issue as tags07, trying to compile a signed bar file for the PlayBook

[INFO]                  Parsing command line options
[ERROR]                 Cannot sign application - failed to find signing keys

I have followed instruction 1 as per the above links.

I've recieved my .csj file from RIM, and I have successfully generated the barsigner.csk and barsigner.db files, which have been created in C:\Users\Rob\AppData\Local\Research In Motion\

(I'm running win7 64bit)

I have tried copying them to the bbwp and also bbwp/bin directories, but it still doesn't find them.

Anyone got any suggestions please?

Thanks,

Rob

UPDATE

Ah! Re-read the instructions and found the issue i think, i had the sigtool.p12 file in the wrong bin folder.

moving it from \bbwp\blackberry-tablet-sdk\bin

to \bbwp\bin

and it successfully builds the bar file now. :smileyhappy:

now just to upload it to the appstore...

Please use plain text.
Developer
jmace
My Device: 9300

I'm bumping into an error of my own...

barsigner error: Certificate chain not found for: RDK. RDK must reference a valid KeyStore key entry containing a private key and corresponding public key certificate chain.
[ERROR]               Signing failed

This is happening when I call

bbwp.exe MyApp.zip /gcsk myPasswordHere /gp12 myOtherPassWordHere /buildId "1.0.0"

drdevil44
My Device: storm 2

Well I'll be damned - I cannot figure this signing of webworks apps out.  I've spent about 3 hours on it now!

I build the BAR.  Then I have to unzip the BAR and change Sample Inc to my company name.  Then when I sign I get:

Sending properties to server...
Properties of response := [
Version = 1
Response = Signature Response
Confirm = null
Error = Code signing request failed because Entry-Point-Type value is not recogn
ized.
]
barsigner error: server error: Code signing request failed because Entry-Point-T
ype value is not recognized.
C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry WebWorks Packager for PlayBook\bb
wp\blackberry-tablet-sdk\bin>

Sending properties to server...Properties of response := [Version = 1Response = Signature ResponseConfirm = nullError = Code signing request failed because Entry-Point-Type value is not recognized.]barsigner error: server error: Code signing request failed because Entry-Point-Type value is not recognized.

Please use plain text.
Developer
tags07
My Device: BB Style

[ Edited ]

@ProfHawking:   Could you post a step by step instruction on how you signed the webworks app?

I am pretty sure i put the .p12 file under bbwp/bin. I still get the same error. Does the certificate need to have a fixed name? What are you calling your .p12 file?

UPDATE:

Thanks to ProfHawking, I renamed the certificate file to sigtool.p12  and  I am able to sign. I also followed instruction1. So it looks like the name of the certificate file has to be sigtool.12 for the signing to work..

Please use plain text.
Developer
ProfHawking
My Device: 8300>9000>9700>9900>Z10

Ok, here we go!

This is what worked for me, it may not for you and is not guaranteed! If anyone or the RIM team have any suggestions or clarifications do let me know.

Before Starting

This walk through assumes that you have applied for your application signing using this form https://www.blackberry.com/SignedKeys/
And received from RIM your CSJ file, in the form: client-RDK-1111111111.csj by email.

You will have supplied your Company Name and a CSJ Pin when applying for your key file - these details are required precisely.

Also, ensure you have the latest version of BlackBerry WebWorks SDK for Tablet OS ( Updated on Feb. 9, 2011 (v1.0.0.2 Beta2) )
Links: http://us.blackberry.com/developers/tablet/webworks.jsp

In this example, the SDK is installed to the default location C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry WebWorks Packager for PlayBook\bbwp
I will refer to this directory as bbwp. Obviously, adjust this to suit your environment.

Set up your signing key files

Step 1 - Set your company name in BBWP properties

Edit the file: bbwp.properties
In the folder: bbwp\bin\

Look for the line: <!-- <developer_cn_signature></developer_cn_signature> -->
Change this to: <developer_cn_signature>#COMPANYNAME#</developer_cn_signature>
Where #COMPANYNAME# is the name you specified when requesting your signing key

Step 2 - Use blackberry-keytool to generate a developer certificate (sigtool.p12 file)

At the command prompt, change to directory: bbwp\blackberry-tablet-sdk\bin\
Run the command:
blackberry-keytool -genkeypair -keystore sigtool.p12 -storepass #P12PASSWORD# -dname "cn=#COMPANYNAME#" -alias author

Where #P12PASSWORD# is a password you set for your developer certificate
and #COMPANYNAME# is the name you specified when requesting your signing key

This generates the sigtool.p12 file in the directory: bbwp\blackberry-tablet-sdk\bin\

Step 3 - Use blackberry-signer to generate CSK certificate

Run the command:
blackberry-signer -csksetup -cskpass #CSKPASSWORD#

Where #CSKPASSWORD# is another password you set for your developer certificate (i'm not sure what the difference is between the CSK and P12 passwords are. Perhaps someone can enlighten?)

This generates barsigner.csk in your local settings directory:

C:\Document and Settings\<your username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Research In Motion\

Step 4 - Use blackberry-signer to enroll your CSK certificate with RIM

For ease of use, copy the client-RDK-1111111111.csj file you recieved from RIM to bbwp\blackberry-tablet-sdk\bin\

Run the command:
blackberry-signer -register -csjpin #CSJPIN# -cskpass #CSKPASSWORD# client-RDK-1111111111.csj

Where #CSJPIN# is the pin you specified when requesting signing key from RIM
#CSKPASSWORD# is the password you set in step 3
client-RDK-1111111111.csj is the CSJ file you recieved from RIM

This generates barsigner.db in your local settings directory: C:\Document and Settings\<name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Research In Motion\

Step 5 - Move P12 file to correct bin folder

Move the generated sigtool.p12 file from: bbwp\blackberry-tablet-sdk\bin\
to: bbwp\bin\

Compiling a signed application

Step 1 - Check your Config.xml

Open you application's config.xml file

Find/Add the lines:

<author>#COMPANYNAME#</author>
<publisher>#COMPANYNAME#</publisher>

Where #COMPANYNAME# is the name you specified when requesting your signing key
(I am not 100% sure the <publisher> is required, is conflicting in documentation. But including it anyway to be safe)

Step 2 - Zip up your application

Zip all your application files as before, lets say your app is called "HelloWorld", name your zip HelloWorld.zip

Lets also assume your working directory, containing the HelloWorld.zip file is at c:\workingdir\

Step 3 - Package bar file

At the command prompt, change to directory: bbwp\
Run the command:

bbwp "c:\workingdir\HelloWorld.zip" /gcsk #CSKPASSWORD# /gp12 #P12PASSWORD# /buildId #BUILDNO# /o "c:\workingdir"

Where #CSKPASSWORD# is the password set in setup step 3
And #P12PASSWORD# is the password set in setup step 2
And #BUILDNO# is the build number for this version of your software, 0001, 0002, 0003 etc, whatever you use.

Your signed application bar file should turn up in c:\workingdir\HelloWorld.bar :smileyhappy:

I hope that helps anyone who's stuck. If i get some time, i might package it all up into a batch script so that its really easy to run. But you only have to do the majority of it once.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jmace
My Device: 9300

Thanks for the info ProfHawking. That was much clearer than any documentation currently out.

I'm still getting an error when calling bbwp.exe and I'm not sure why. Anyone have any adivce? 

barsigner error: Certificate chain not found for: RDK.  RDK must reference a valid KeyStore key entry containing a private key and corresponding public key certificate chain.
[ERROR]          Signing failed

Cesar_Vanatur
My Device: Storm

Hello everyone.

I want to sign for the first time my first WebWork for Playbook.

I have signed WebWorks for Smartphones. I have the files "sigtool.csk"and "sigtool.db"

Do I have to reapply the signature keys?

If not, how I can I sign the .bar  file for Playbook ?

Thank you very much.

Please use plain text.