Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
Robtimus
My Carrier: T-Mobile
Accepted Solution

BlackBerry Simulator not loading [Visual Studio, Win 7]

I am using the BlackBerry Web Plugin (v2.0.1.10) for Visual Studio 2008 SP1, running on Windows 7 (32-bit). I created a simple Hello World web site to test, and when I debug and the simulator pops up it doesn't load the OS - it just hangs.

I have searched through this forum for some solutions, and I have done the following:

-Uncheck "read only" for the plugin folders

-Ensure my version of Java & set the appropriate environment variables

Is there anything else I need to do? Has anyone else experienced this issue? Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
tneil
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: BlackBerry Simulator not loading [Visual Studio, Win 7]

Is this running on a VMWare instance or on the desktop itself?  We had seen some issues with VMWare and Windows 7.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Robtimus

tneil wrote:

Is this running on a VMWare instance or on the desktop itself?  We had seen some issues with VMWare and Windows 7.

This is running on the desktop.

Please use plain text.
tneil

Hi there,

I was talking to one of our developers here and he had mentioned that there are some interesting things that Windows 7 does to virtualize the directories that the simulator is running in.

His suggestions were the following.

First close down the simulator and then try deleting:

C:\Users\<username>\net\rim\fledge-2

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Widget Packager\simpack 

Along with the dmp files in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Widget Packager\simpack\

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Robtimus

tneil wrote:

First close down the simulator and then try deleting:

C:\Users\<username>\net\rim\fledge-2

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Widget Packager\simpack 

Along with the dmp files in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Widget Packager\simpack\

I followed your instructions, with one exception: I do not seem to have a VirtualStore directory in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\. On running the simulator, I still experienced the same issue.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
pavel_fa

Tim,

I have exactly the same issue which prevents me from debugging mobile web apps using the Web plug-in (for VS 2008 running on Windows Server 2008 R2 64 bit) 

There is another post on the same issue (with my comments there):

http://devblog.blackberry.com/2010/03/blackberry-web-plug-in-for-microsoft-visual-studio-setting-def...

So as you can see there are multiple people experiencing the same problem with Web plug-in for Visual Studio.

Another issue with the simulator - the only way to get its screen updated is to cover it with another window for a short while; that forces repaint of the affected area.  

Please use plain text.
tneil

We're trying to figure out what is different in your environment than our test environment.  

We have no problems here with any of our Windows 7 32/64 bit testing systems and also have many customers using these operating systems which makes me think it has something to do with an environment setup.

When you are launching the simulators, are the simulators the ones packaged with the plug-in or an additional simulator you have downloaded and installed?

Did you upgrade an existing Visual Studio installation?  Or did you install fresh?

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Robtimus

tneil wrote:

When you are launching the simulators, are the simulators the ones packaged with the plug-in or an additional simulator you have downloaded and installed?

Did you upgrade an existing Visual Studio installation?  Or did you install fresh?

I am only using simulators packaged with the plug-in. My Visual Studio install is fresh.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
pavel_fa

I tried original simulator (9700) packaged with the plug-in as well as others 9550, 9650.  Same issues for all of them.

My VS is a fresh installation on a new system with a fresh installation of  Windows Server 2008 R2 x64. JDK 1.6

In the instructions for the Wb-Plugin there is nothing mentioned about environment setup, I wonder what can make you suspicious here?

Please use plain text.
tneil

Well, we don't officially support Windows Server 2008 as a tested platform.  Our system requirements are for XP, Vista or Windows 7.

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/developers/browserdev/devtoolsdownloads.jsp

Which is why on the Windows 7 environment I was thinking it was environmental considering we have performed extensive tests on this operating system.

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.