Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
Robtimus
My Device: Curve 8900
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Re: BlackBerry Simulator not loading [Visual Studio, Win 7]

[ Edited ]

tneil wrote:

Our system requirements are for XP, Vista or Windows 7.

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/developers/browserdev/devtoolsdownloads.jsp

That link mentions that Visual Studio 2008 standard edition is a requirement. I'm using Visual Studio professional edition (Version 9.0.21022.8 RTM). Could that be a problem?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
bpearce
My Device: iPhone 4 - Sorry RIM
My Carrier: AT&T

[ Edited ]

This is probably stupid and completely irrelevant, but one of the BB Bold simulators I test with frequently wouldn't draw itself completely when I set View > Graphics Acceleration > Max Quality in the simulator.  Other acceleration settings were fine.  Also certain apps (Trillian Astra for one) interfere with simulator drawing that i've noticed.  Your issue most likely doesn't have anything to do with the simulator just not drawing correctly though.

Unfortunately, this probably only helps by reaffirming that the simulators are a little buggy. :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Visual Studio 2008 Standard edition is the minimum 2008 version we support.  We test on Professional Edition as well.  We state Standard edition because Express will not allow for plug-ins.

I always recommend setting the Graphics acceleration in the simulator off in the "View -> Graphics Acceleration".  This has had issues with different graphics cards and I would only recommend to turn it on if you are testing OpenGL code.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Robtimus
My Device: Curve 8900
My Carrier: T-Mobile

tneil wrote:

I always recommend setting the Graphics acceleration in the simulator off in the "View -> Graphics Acceleration".  This has had issues with different graphics cards and I would only recommend to turn it on if you are testing OpenGL code.

I had already set the graphics acceleration to low, but I turned it off and it worked fine! Thanks for all your help Tim!

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
tneil
My Device: Z10

[ Edited ]

I'm glad to hear that...

So did that solve all your problems with the simulator starting up?

If it solved the problem please do be sure to mark the appropriate post as the accepted solution :smileyhappy:

Cheers

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
pavel_fa
My Device: Web plugin for Visual Studio 2.0

Tim,  thanks for helping.

My refresh problem has gone after I switch the graphical acceleration off.  !!!

Though the main problem still remains - the simulator does not start from the debugger.

VS just waits until I kill the debug session.  Interesting that once I killed the debug session the simulator starts up; obviously it would not show the page I need to debug. Another thing - the Visual Studio is unresponsive until I close the simulator.

Sometimes (just after killing the debug session)  an error dialog pops up saying "fledgehook.exe stopped working"  and following problem details:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: fledgehook.exe

Application Version: 0.0.0.0

Application Timestamp: 4ba28ea5

Fault Module Name: fledgehook.exe

Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 4ba28ea5

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 000011d9

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.272.7

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 0a9e

Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Additional Information 3: 0a9e

Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

May be this info can help investigating the problem if you decide to look at it.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
pavel_fa
My Device: Web plugin for Visual Studio 2.0

Guys, whoever has similar problems with debugging through the BB simulator on non supported platforms (like my Windows Server 2008 R2) and is really desperate to have up and running,  I recommend an ugly but working solution - Install a "supported" platform like Windows 7 on a virtual machine (under WMware player - free)  and develop your code there. 

Once I installed  WMware, Win 7, Visual Studio 2008, Web plug-in and copied my code over to the virtual machine, I finally got my simulator starting up from the debugger. It's up and running and I can debug my mobile web app.

Tim, thanks for your support. 

Would be nice though if you guys decided to look at the simulator issues on the  Windows Server 2008 R2 ...  

Please use plain text.
Regular Visitor
tyrinjosimen
My Device: Bold 2

How did you install on windows server 2008.

Please use plain text.