Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
tbourgeois
My Device: Z10
Accepted Solution

Blackberry 10 browser rewrites urls with subdomains

Hello,

I am wondering why the blackberry 10 browser, in the simulator, seems to modify any url with a subdomain ( e.g. when I attempt to hit example.domain.com, the resulting url in the address bar is changed to domain.com )?

Cheers

BlackBerry Development Advisor
rcraigbarnes
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: Blackberry 10 browser rewrites urls with subdomains

Hey!

We do this to as a preventative measure against phishing attempts. For example: a phishing site has a url "en.facebook.com.asdlfkslkfsdf.phishing.com", the original method we used could potentially cut the url off at a point where only "en.facebook.com" is shown to the user. With the new method it would display "phishing.com".

We are still tweaking it a little bit to make it a little more intelligent on when to use this method and when to leave the URL intact.

You can always see the full URL by expanding the address bar.

Rory

--
Website Relations - Web Technologies

@roryboy

1.Please resolve your thread by clicking the "Accept as Solution" button below the post which solved your problem!
2. If any post helps you please click the like/thumbs up button below the post(s)
New Contributor
tbourgeois
My Device: Z10

When clicking on the address bar, i see the address bar expand, but I still do not see the full url. Is this a bug? I DO see the full url on the tabs page, though.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
rcraigbarnes
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Depending on the length of the URL you will have to swipe back and forth to see it all once you open the address bar.

If that doesn't work do you have an example URL giving your trouble that I can check out? Also let me know what OS version you are using.

--
Website Relations - Web Technologies

@roryboy

1.Please resolve your thread by clicking the "Accept as Solution" button below the post which solved your problem!
2. If any post helps you please click the like/thumbs up button below the post(s)