Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
suresh_nada
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Blackberry App development using plug in for visula studio

Hi,

I am new to Balckberry App development.  I am using plug in for Visual studio (V 1.2).  I am trying to develope an App in which if

an address is given in a text box  I want to show the address in a google map or Blackberry map.  And then find other interesting places

close to the given address ie. pizza store. Is there any API for visual studio for this type of application.  Please show me some direction

how to go about

Thank you

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Blackberry App development using plug in for visula studio

If you are creating this with a web page, you can have them submit the address and the pass it to google maps via a URL.  Or you can construct a URL that will open up BlackBerry maps.

There isn't any specific API for doing this, it will be a matter of piecing some different web sites together in a mash up. 

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
canamgroup

Hi,

"Or you can construct a URL that will open up BlackBerry maps"

How can you construct a URL that will open Blackberry maps installed on the device and passing it a lat/lng point? (from the Blackberry Browser)

Is this possible?

I can call Google Maps (web page) with a URL containing lat/lng arguments... but I'd like to open up Blackberry Maps or Google Maps (application installed locally) from the Blackberry Browser using a URL.

I've tried to achieve this on my Blackberry Storm 9530 without any success so far.

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

have you tried creating a KML document that is retrieved when someone clicks on a link?  If the KML document downloads, BlackBerry maps should be launched to display that map info.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
canamgroup

Yes I did... and yes it works if I download a KML file from my Blackberry Strom 9530 (Blackberry Maps is launched).

However, with my Curve 8330, I receive this error ("The item you selected cannot be displayed. Do you wish to save the item?").  Blackberry Maps is correctly installed.

Based on your answer, I thought it was possible to open Blackberry Maps directly from a URL (with given lat/lng)... without using a KML file.  I'd like to avoid creating lots of temporarely KML files on our web server outside our firewall and then generate URLs to these KML files.  I'd rather just create URLs to Blackberry Maps using lat/lng arguments (no external server needed and no creation of temp files).

Thanks for your quick answer!

Please use plain text.