Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
dmunger
My Device: Not Specified

Blackberry Browser and Indexed Transparent PNGs

Hello,

I can't seem to come up with much on this topic from a search on these forums, or even a general Google search, so here goes...

I'm developing a mobile site targetting the BlackBerry 8900. Our company purchased an unlocked BlackBerry, and initially I was just testing that (and the simulator software). With a straight wifi connection and no sim card in the phone, PNG transparency worked fine on the browser. I was quite surprised to find, though, that when I put my own sim card in the phone and thus browsed over the Edge (AT&T) data network, the browser no longer showed PNGs properly.

I'm wondering if the difference is that the AT&T infrastructure interposes the MDS service layer, as I have read in the MDS documentation that it slices up image files and serves them in pieces, as well as doing other things to mess with the images in order to "help" me out by reducing their size. One of the things it does, if I understand this right, is to mess with the color palette as well.

So I'm wondering, is it possible that we just cannot use transparent PNGs when targetting this device? I.e., is this a typical problem? Or is there some way I can work around the whomping of the transparency in PNGs?

Please use plain text.