Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

My Device: blackberry 9000 Bold

Re: Blackberry Browser cannot Play Embedded MP4 Videos

Hi Guys

See I am not the only one with this problem. I have found a sample mp4 (sample_mpeg4.mp43) from the apple support website(http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1425) that i put on my server and it streams to my blackberry 9000 fine. I have used ffmpeg to get the properties of it but sadly not yet managed to replicate the sample_mp4. I find it a bit like peeing in the wind :smileyhappy:

New Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

@GoldyMan:

The reason that clip works is based on where you found it- the Apple support site. The only way we've reliably been able to make 'universally' working HTTP-streaming MP4's is by using Apple's Quicktime, and adding in the extra control data. I explain how a while back.

Sorry for the dissapearing act, real life got in the way big time. It looks like I'm not going to have the time or resources to continue my project... totally frustrating. Anyone want to buy a website, complete with unlimited hosting, url, content, etc?

New Contributor

CharredPC, thanks for the great information. I have been working for somtime to try and figure out why the Blackberry Bold 9700 will not play Youtube videos on WiFi, or any other streaming vidoes or audios. I have had no luck. I am in agreement with another forum user that Blackberries simply cannot stream media, except in rare cases.

Your H.264 video is the first one that has actually worked with the Bold 9700. The H.263 link seems to be broken, so I don't know if it works or not.

Where I am having the issue, with the error message "An error has occurred while attempting to play media" is with WiFi only. The 9700 will play Youtube videos fairly well under 3G. But, with my WiFi network I always get this error. All the Iphones, AT&T Tilt, several Android phones, blue ray players, and computers all work fine streaming media on my WiFi.

You seem to be the most knowledgable guy on this subject that I have found, so wanted to ask you this question.

Whould you have any idea why streaming media would not work with a Bold 9700 on a WiFi network?

Thanks for any help you might be able to offer.

The_Omegaman
New Developer

Omegaman:

I've run into that problem before. I wish I could give you a better answer, but it seems to vary by router :-p Some play nice with our BlackBerry phones, and some (like my current one) give nothing but problems, even when every other device works fine with it. I'd recommend trying at least three other routers (friend's, coffee shop, motel, whatever) before deciding it's your device.

If you want to try some more streaming, visit my website at http://www.yesterberry.com. It's by no means finished, but there's a decent mix of on-demand / live / h264 / h263 content to test there.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Hey, I'm wondering if someone could summarize this thread for me? I'm trying to get a video to play in a browser on a BB and am really struggling. Looks as though you guys have already gone through this months ago and figured something out?

My Device: Curve

Our software can serve video directly to Blackberry's models starting with the Curve and above.  Go to http://www.Upplaud.com  or just type Upplaud.com from your web browsr on your BB and click on the demo from the homepage.