Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
elogic
My Device: Storm 9530
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Blackberry Browser cannot Play Embedded MP4 Videos

No buffering - and SUCCESS!!! Wow you have found the "goat's eyeball"! That is awesome... So now to share the details (what I'd love to do is see if the envelope can be pushed with quality but if not - that is fine - at least we know it works and IS repeatable :-)

Now we just need the iPhone announcement so you can get your Storms! Cool video clip BTW.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
CharredPC
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: T-Mobile

I'm working on quality right now. The trick ended up being what software is used... sort of. In reality, any software should work, but so far I've only found one with the 3gpr6 capability. I'm still looking, though, because I hate this one. As soon as I have things looking better I'll give a full walk-through.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
CharredPC

I'm trying to work out a sort of hybrid method in order to keep quality up, yet incorporate the magic fix. Anyone care to try this file? I'm trying to iron out exactly what it takes to keep things functional...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
elogic
My Device: Storm 9530

You're on a roll - looking good - streamed through no problem.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
zelaza
My Device: Blackberry Storm 9530

[ Edited ]

Good work, CharredPC.  You are definitely on the right track, although I still get some strange behavior: when I go to the link from my crackedberry and select "Open", it tries to load but the screen goes totally black - I mean all black pixels on the screen.  When I go to the menu and select "Refresh" the video someimtes plays, but sometimes I get a media error....

- zelaza
Please use plain text.
New Developer
CharredPC

[ Edited ]

zelaza: Is this problem with just my last clip? Also, I don't suppose it's a local network problem- a slow connection sometimes can cause that. That last clip also played fine on a Curve, another of the problematic BB's.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
zelaza
My Device: Blackberry Storm 9530

CharredPC - I have the same problem with both Challenger3 and Challenger4.  They actually fail more often than they succeed.  I'm running on Verizon 1XEV, and I've tried this from several different locations with consistent results... strange.

- zelaza
Please use plain text.
Developer
iamtony
My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: Rogers

CharredPC,

How did you manage to get MP3 streaming to work? Is there a specific package you used? I've been trying but everytime I run it on my berry, it just says it can't play it.

-iamtony

Please use plain text.
New Developer
CharredPC

[ Edited ]

@iamtony,

So does this link work for you? When I click an mp3, I get the option to open it, or save it. If I chose open, it buffers and plays nearly immediately (Bold 9700 on OS 5.0.0.545).

@zelaza,

What sort of signal do you have- gprs, edge, 3g? I have an idea how I might get this solved regardless. I'll post another test for you shortly :smileyhappy:

Also prepping the how-to guide, just trying to remove all the steps I can and make it as simple as possible. It's pointless if it involves an hour's worth of work for a six minute clip!

Btw, since the entire point of this thread was about MP4 files, here's a streamable MP4 (not 3GP). Comments appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Developer
iamtony
My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: Rogers

CharredPC,

On the simulator I simply get the Requesting screen and the bar at the bottom seems as if it's downloading it. But once it's done, nothing happens. (9000 5.0.0.411)

I have yet to test it on a device. Will probably try it tomorrow on a 9000. Forgot the OS #.

Please use plain text.