Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
peardox
My Device: Playbook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha B, 2x Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: 3, Orange, Vodafone

Blackberry (branded) Development Browser?

It occurs to me that as the new browsers in OS6 and Playbook are webkit based that somewhere around the Blackberry R&D department there's a source-code webkit build that ends up on the target devices.

It doesn't seem to be a huge problem to take the specific webkit build used on the devices and recompile it for Windows, Mac and Linux (the BBDB)

The advantage we'd have over using the frequently changing Chrome for example is a native development reference browser to test our app builds on before deploying them to a simulator or device

There is also the, sometimes long, build into a COD / BAR to take into account - that could be bypassed as well - there's nothing more infuriating than making small tweaks to your CSS, compile, deploy, check and repeat process when tweaking exactly the right layout for your app

Obviuosly the BBDB won't do exactly what the on-device browser does but it'd be a lot closer than anything we have

Click the like button if you find my posts useful!
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Blackberry (branded) Development Browser?

[ Edited ]

Oh peardox... Do we ever have something coming down the pipe for you :smileyhappy:

The tinyHippos aquisition was one step in the direction you are looking for... Let's just say you are going to have one heck of an emulation environment for WebWorks and Web development coming from RIM..

More details to be revealed soon...

You'll also see that we've stepped up and started providing Web Inspector

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
Contributor
hakanson
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: AT&T

The Web Inspector is great news.  Is there a way for this to work in a WebWorks application?

Please use plain text.
Developer
peardox

As my wishlist is going so well - I didn't want to overload it in the first post - the other cool things would be...

Well, fairly obvious :

The current Simulator lets us, at best, write the correct code and hope it works on a real device - I mean - the soundtrack I can't hear and the web browser I can't open are correctly coded but I can't be 100% sure its going to work in the wild. To this extent an honest "warts and all" version of the real device is what's needed.

A JavaScript 'pretend its the real thing' library as part of the kit for the WebWorks API - this way we could test things like PIN, UI, File (etc) by leveraging a native development environment

The simulation of the onboard devices hooked into said BBDB WW library - the simulation could either be native to the development platform or a WebKit plugin - then we cold play with orientation (even if we had to look at the monitor sideways).

The most important thing that occurs is doing simulated multi-touch

And - now I'm probably going to stretch things (your fault - I read your JavaScript Extension KB articles earlier - I'm desperate to get BBAS into my stuff) - this one, I realise, is probably going a bit far

Please use plain text.
tneil

hakanson wrote:

The Web Inspector is great news.  Is there a way for this to work in a WebWorks application?

You betcha!!!  It is in the RTM WebWorks SDK :Batman:

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
tneil

The current Simulator lets us, at best, write the correct code and hope it works on a real device - I mean - the soundtrack I can't hear and the web browser I can't open are correctly coded but I can't be 100% sure its going to work in the wild. To this extent an honest "warts and all" version of the real device is what's needed.

The RTM release of the simulator should meet your needs 

A JavaScript 'pretend its the real thing' library as part of the kit for the WebWorks API - this way we could test things like PIN, UI, File (etc) by leveraging a native development environment

tinyHippos will play a role here

The simulation of the onboard devices hooked into said BBDB WW library - the simulation could either be native to the development platform or a WebKit plugin - then we cold play with orientation (even if we had to look at the monitor sideways).

tinyHippos will play a role in this department as well.  I'm not sure I fully understand what exactly you are referring to by saying BBDB???

The most important thing that occurs is doing simulated multi-touch

We have some tricks up our sleve in that department as well :smileyhappy:

And - now I'm probably going to stretch things (your fault - I read your JavaScript Extension KB articles earlier - I'm desperate to get BBAS into my stuff) - this one, I realise, is probably going a bit far

Can you also explain more on what you mean by BBAS?

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
peardox

BBDB is what I dubbed this little now not so imaginary idea (BlackBerry Development Browser) at the top of this thread

[Another wish]

Is there any chance of four-point simulation of multi-touch somehow - are BB the first to do four-point? I can see many entertainment possibilities using more than two fingers (Apple are going to be hanging their heads in shame)

BBAS is what the BlackBerry Advertizing Service call their Java SDK - I was gutted when I signed up, got in then found out I couldn't use it

In the KB article on writing a Scripted it (appears) makes it potentially possible that I can not need to wait for BBAS to release their SDK for WebWorks as we get the JARs as part of the package. It seems that, based on the KB article, we can have a bridge between the proper JARs and WebWorks by writing some interface code

Apologies for the lack of epansion on certain bits of the above

The RTM has been suggested as being 'around product release' - So, Tuesday? Or do we have to just hold our breath?

[Grumble time]

There should be some mailing list we can sign up to so that when 'X' happens we know about it within a very short time. The only way to find out at the moment is to look on three different websites

Please use plain text.
Contributor
hakanson
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: AT&T

Sweet.  Do you wait on updating the github code until rtf is finalized (as apposed to have the rtm branch stay current)?

I don't see any recent updated on the rtm branch (but it could be my github skills).

https://github.com/blackberry/WebWorks-TabletOS/tree/rtm

Please use plain text.
tneil

hakanson wrote:

Sweet.  Do you wait on updating the github code until rtf is finalized (as apposed to have the rtm branch stay current)?

I don't see any recent updated on the rtm branch (but it could be my github skills).

https://github.com/blackberry/WebWorks-TabletOS/tree/rtm

The latest and greatest should be going up any day now... You'll soon find that we'll be working much differently in github.  We are trying to get out of the mode of pushing up changes and doing the work internally... instead moving to doing our work in the github repositories and then re-basing that code back internally.

We want to have much more exposed into the github repos and ramp up our work in the OSS project 

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
tneil

Is there any chance of four-point simulation of multi-touch somehow - are BB the first to do four-point? I can see many entertainment possibilities using more than two fingers (Apple are going to be hanging their heads in shame)

I'd have to talk to our emulator team on what exactly they have planned for simulating 4 different touch points.

BAS is what the BlackBerry Advertizing Service call their Java SDK - I was gutted when I signed up, got in then found out I couldn't use it

In the KB article on writing a Scripted it (appears) makes it potentially possible that I can not need to wait for BBAS to release their SDK for WebWorks as we get the JARs as part of the package. It seems that, based on the KB article, we can have a bridge between the proper JARs and WebWorks by writing some interface code

We've been working closely with the Advertising Services team.  The advertising solution for WebWorks will be entirely web based.  It will involve placing an iframe in your content to bring in the ad.  We've been working with the Advertising group to enhance our Trackpad Navigation mode for iframes on the BlackBerry Smartphone as well as working through the requirements on the PlayBook.  We needed this plumbing to be in place to bring the Advertising SDK to WebWorks.

The Java Advertising SDK involves embedding a Web View into your application.  This web view is a Java control that can't be inserted into a WebWorks application's DOM.  The WebWorks specific SDK will allow you to insert the content wherever you like in your HTML.

The RTM has been suggested as being 'around product release' - So, Tuesday? Or do we have to just hold our breath?

We had been waiting to get the final cut of the PlayBook Simulator to include in the WebWorks SDK so that we can start in on our final full WebWorks regression testing.  This WebWorks final regression testing is underway.  My guess is that we'll likely have the final RTM SDK available for download around 1 week from the PlayBook launch.  It is just getting down to semantics around final regression testing, sign-off, and web site preparations.  

There should be some mailing list we can sign up to so that when 'X' happens we know about it within a very short time. The only way to find out at the moment is to look on three different websites

One of the best ways that I find to keep up to date is to have an RSS feed from the development blog, or subscribe to the @BlackBerryDev Twitter Feed

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.