Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
dknowles
My Device: Not Specified

Blackberry browser support for AJAX

Hello everyone,

Can anyone tell me if and when the blackberry browser will support ajax?  If it does support it now, can you gell me which blackberry models have the support?

I would greatly appreciate this information!!!!

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Blackberry browser support for AJAX

AJAX is supported on the BlackBerry Bold 9000.  It is the first BlackBerry model to have AJAX support.
Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
New Developer
pologarcia

Hello,

I have two questions:

1. Will the browser that is coming with the Bold 9000 be available for other (older) BlackBerry models?

2. Besides Ajax support, does the browser in the Bold 9000 have other enhancements? For instance, does it handle Java Script and Style Sheets better?

Thank you in advance.

Polo

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Employee
JWeber

Hi,

The updated browser is going to be released with device software v4.6, so any devices running 4.6 or higher will be able to use the new browser.

We have added full support for CSS 2.1 and Javascript 1.5 in 4.6.

If you would like to test the browser yourself, you can download the JDE v4.6 Beta (the JDE includes a Bold simulator).

-Jeremy

Jeremy Weber
Sr Application Development Consultant
Research In Motion
Please use plain text.
New Developer
pologarcia

Thank you very much for the information.

Another question:

I have the BlackBerry 8830 World Edition.

From the About I can see I have v4.2.2.148 (Platform 3.0.0.67)

I'm assuming 4.2 is the version of the device software.

Will I be able to upgrade to 4.6 in this device?

Thank you very much for the great help.

Regards.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Employee
JWeber

Unfortunately not, 4.6 is only used for our Bold device.

You may be able to upgrade to v4.5 - that device software is available on all 8000-level devices.  You can check if your carrier has made 4.5 available for downloading.

-Jeremy

Jeremy Weber
Sr Application Development Consultant
Research In Motion
Please use plain text.
New Developer
ttklf4

BlackBerry browser v4.6 and JavaScript error messages

Hello,

can we display JavaScript error messages or debug JavaScript with the BlackBerry Bold simulator?

Thank you.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
tonybunce

Is there any documentation for the new browser?  Something like the content developer guide that list what javascript features we have access to?
Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

[ Edited ]

For the previous post in regards to debugging, please see the following video for information on our debugging support.

http://www.blackberry.com/DevMediaLibrary/view.do?name=aspdebug

In regards to documentation for the version 4.6 BlackBerry Browser that is on the BlackBerry Bold, the answer is no.  This documentation is not available yet.

Update:  This documentation is now available here:  http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/docs/subcategories/?userType=21&category=BlackBerry+Browser

Message Edited by MSohm on 09-15-2008 11:28 AM
Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
New Developer
TGreenwood

I am evaluating the capabilities of the embedded browser on the Blackberry Bold (4.6), and I am noticing some differences in the behavior of the browser (http://www.blackberry.com/developers/docs/4.6.0api/net/rim/blackberry/api/browser/package-frame.html) and the embedded browser (aka browser.field) (http://www.blackberry.com/developers/docs/4.6.0api/net/rim/device/api/browser/field/package-frame.ht...).

(My sample app is based on the BrowserFieldDemo from the SDK samples.)

For one thing, web pages and their accompanying javascript that work in the browser fail in the browser.field. For example:

1. The javascript keyword 'undefined' seems to be recognized in the browser, but not the browser.field (javascript interpreter)

2. window.XMLHttpRequest seems to be recognized in the browser, but not the browser.field (javascript interpreter),  leaving me wondering just how I'm supposed to enable AJAX type functionality in the embedded browser.

So, it is relatively simple to remove checks for undefined objects in the javascript. However, I'm not sure what to do about the missing XMLHttpRequest object. Am I supposed to implement this in the browser.field container, and if so, how?                                                                       

3. Debugging/logging: The blackberry bold is the first blackberry device that I have been able to consistently debug. Kudos. That said, debugging the javascript within the browser is somewhat tedious. Is there a way to print from javascript to the JDE debug console? My current hack is to listen for the SET_HTTP_COOKIE event, and essentially log my debug statements into a cookie, and print out the cookie contents when the container sees them change, like so:

#BrowserFieldDemo.java
eventOccurred(Event event)                                                                            
{
case Event.EVENT_SET_HTTP_COOKIE :

System.out.println("Event.EVENT_SET_HTTP_COOKIE");
                SetHttpCookieEvent ce = (SetHttpCookieEvent)event;                                    
                String cookie = ce.getCookie();                                                       
                if(cookie == null) cookie = "ERROR";                                                  
                System.out.println("Cookie: " + cookie);                                              
...                                                                                                   
}

- Todd  

Please use plain text.