Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
MJLEnterprises
My Device: Not Specified

Blackberry video hosting sites?

Hi I work for a company that is developing a web application. I am currently working on modifying the application so it can be used on Ipod's and Blackberries. Within the web application there is an area for companies to add their own custom training videos. I have been working on getting these videos to play on the blackberry, and finally got one to work from m.youtube today. The problem is that the video decreases greatly in quality when it is viewed on the blackberry. I can watch the same video on youtube with my desktop and it looks great as well as the version that I've created on my local machine. I was wondering if somebody might have information on a better solution for hosting these videos. I have been searching all over trying to find a good site, but my hits keep coming up with converters and other things that I don't need. I am open to any suggestions for hosting these videos for the blackberry to view, but obviously the cheaper the better, if not free.
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Re: Blackberry video hosting sites?

what is your need ?
host a video so that people can download it ?
host a video so that people can see it in streaming ?
host a video that will play inside a webpage ?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Developer
MJLEnterprises

To be more specific I need to be able to stream it to a Blackberry from a link in our web-app, but would like a better quality than what I can get streaming it from youtube. I was using Blip.tv but they lack support for the 3gp format. I've noticed that all the video's on m.youtube.com have rather poor quality when being played on the Blackberry. I have to use Opera Mini with the Blackberry to browse through my application as the regular Blackberry browser doesn't support DHTML menus. As of right now when I access the link with the Blackberry in Opera Mini it willl invoke the media player and stream the video, and as far as I know this is the only way to get them to play without actually downloading it.
Please use plain text.
New Developer
MJLEnterprises

Hi, just thought I'd post the information I finally found and see if you can confirm it. After extensive research I've found a web page that states the Storm always plays streaming videos in this poor blocky quality that I've been trying to get around. This source states that it will not be fixed until there is an firmware update. Can you confirm this?
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

I don't know, sorry. But as a consumer on a mobile device, I will always prefer to download a video file and watch it, than stream it. Maybe it's because I'm often in public transportations and some parts do not have a cellular network good enough for streaming.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Developer
MJLEnterprises

Indeed I can see why you have that preference, but these videos are to be used by salespersons while they are at work, but away from their PC. In any case we will have to do with what we can get for now. Thank you for your input.
Please use plain text.