Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
miQc45
My Device: Not Specified

Browser Push Entity too large

Hi,

I've been asked to do a trial project (show the potential) to share short audio/video clips with our BlackBerry users through our BES with MDS. Ideally they would access the content through an icon on their Home Screen. I am not a Java developper, I've been looking at the Browser channel push to point users to a mini website with links to content but am wondering if there is anyway around the Maximum KB/Connection setting or 1024 KB max for the BB Browser and 5120 KB max for the Internet Service Browser... I am wondering if it is possible at all to do this project through browser developpement, maybe a client-server java application is what is needed. 

1. If I put content that is between 1024 KB and 5120 KB, is it possible to make sure they will be able to open it (force the use of Internet Service Browser??)
  2. The content would be on an internal web server so would users be charged by internet provider for content downloaded if we use the Internet Service Browser? What if we use BB Browser?
  3. Should we just look at hiring a java developper to do a client-server app?

Thanks for your input!

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook

Re: Browser Push Entity too large

This could vary by carrier, but generally using the BlackBerry Browser or Internet Browser count the same as far as data usage is concerned.

The download size limits for the BlackBerry Browser can be adjusted on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server.  Note that these limits also apply to Java applications making connections through your BlackBerry Enterprise Server.  One work around for a Java application is to make multiple connections and download the large file in pieces.

Please see this link for more information on the download size limits.

What Is - HTTP 413 Request Entity Too Large
Article Number: DB-00623

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800451/800563/What_Is...

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
Developer
marchywka

You can see my earlier posts on media and streaming approaches with J2ME and I'm available for consulting.

Anyone from RIM care to explain the need for RIM servers here? I usually like antagonizing site hosts ( :smileyhappy: )

but there is a real issue with games you could play with your own server to facilitate http "streaming"

that may be hard to get through canned servers.

I'm getting curious to see if I can take the old EyeWonder or MPEG applet code and port it to BB.

Is there error you cite imposed by MDS? Our custom browser could handle pseudo-streaming or fake

progressive download and any mime type manipulations needed.

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm

A BlackBerry Enterprise Server is required to perform a browser push or to push data to an application. 

You can download files in pieces through the MDS Connection Service by making use of the Range HTTP header and making multiple connections for each piece.

Mark Sohm

Please use plain text.
New Developer
avocatec

I am following the article:

How To - Download large files using the BlackBerry Mobile Data System

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800332/800431/How_To_...

In the exanple for HTTP Range Request Header, there is this line:

String currentFile = remoteName + ";" + uids.elementAt(connection);

There is no other reference to uids. Is this absolutely required ?

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm

No, this is not required.  This would be used to make the connection over a specific route.  The following link explains the routes available.

What Is - Different ways to make an HTTP or socket connection
Article Number: DB-00396

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800451/800563/What_Is...

Mark Sohm

Please use plain text.
New Developer
bdriesse
My Device: Storm 9530

Would the same "Maximum KB/Connection" setting be causing an initial browser channel push to be truncated on each recipient's device?  As soon as they hit "Refresh" the full content arrives.
Please use plain text.