Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
jwargo
My Device: BlackBerry Torch 9800
Accepted Solution

Browser Push

When you push data to the Browser or a rich client, how long is it held before being discarded by MDS-CS, the BES or the NOC? I know the NOC or the BES will hold up to x messages for x days, but how does it work for push content?  I heard through a reliable resource that it's held for 10 minutes before discarded but that doesn't seem to match how I thought it worked. Can someone just validate this for me?

It would seem that push wouldn't be that useful if you tossed it over to MDS and there was a good chance it wouldn't be delivered if the device was out of wireless coverage or if the device was turned off (like when on an airplane).

If it is discarded after 10 minutes, what do you have to do to make it stick?  Wait for confirmation that it was delivered then just retry it every so often until it does get delivered? It would seem that keeping the push request for say 24 hours would be better then constantly pestering MDS until it could be delivered. 

BlackBerry Development Advisor
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Passport

Re: Browser Push

[ Edited ]

This link explains how long a push is queued on a BlackBerry Enterprise Server.

What Is - Mobile Data Service Push Flow Control
Article Number: DB-00384

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800451/800662/What_Is...

If the push expires, it is up to the application to send it again (if required).  An application can be notified if a push was successful or if it failed.

What Is - The Push notification format
Article Number: DB-00395

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800332/800440/What_Is...

Message Edited by MSohm on 07-22-2009 09:28 AM
Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker