Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Browser or Java application client?

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I would very much appreciate if someone can give advice/suggestions/recomm/criticism. 

We have a fairely large internal web application with a number of JSP pages and Java server apps in the backend.  Being asked to provide accesses to blackberry devices, we can (1) create a new set of simpler web pages so that the pages can be viewed nicely in the browser, or (2) create a Java client application for the devices.  I am not sure which one is better.  What are the factors that we should consider in choosing one over the other? 

All Replies
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Browser or Java application client?

The first place you might look for information is our developer video library.  In particular there is an introductory video that compares the different types of applications and their capabilities.  Here is a link to the video

When deciding between the 2 types of applications, here are a few things you may want to think about:

- What are your target devices and the software versions?  The browser has evolved alot over the years, and it may affect the number of changes you would need to make to your web application.  For instance, you may find that your current web application works well without any changes on the Bold (our latest device).

- Are you planning on taking advantage of any of the advanced features of the device?  Or, do you want to simply mobilize your current web application?  Using some of the advanced capabilities of the device like the camera or bluetooth would require a java application.

I would suggest downloading one of our device simulators and try rendering some of your pages in the browser.  It might give you a feel for the changes you would need to make to your current application.  Make sure to get the simulator that matches the devices you are planning to support, and don't forget to install an MDS services simulator as well (it's required to use the browser in the simulator).

Jeremy Weber
Sr Application Development Consultant
Research In Motion