Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
Ted_Hopp
My Device: Not Specified

Can PayPal Buy Now buttons work on BB browser?

Does anyone know if it is possible to get PayPal's Website Payment Standard to work on BB devices?

We are trying to implement a Buy Now button for an application that runs on BlackBerry devices. The application points the browser to a purchase page at our web site. After the user provides some input, they go to a summary page at our web site with a PayPal Buy Now button. The trouble starts when they click on the Buy Now button: PayPal sends the browser into a self-referential redirect loop.

The odd thing is that if the browser is set to identify itself as Firefox or Internet Explorer then everything seems to work. (In other words, it seems that this is due to some weirdness at the PayPal end, not some problem inherent with the browser.) Unfortunately, requiring that all our customers modify their browser settings like this is not a viable option. Is there a way around this issue?

We have read the documentation for PayPal mobile, and it has several problems. For one, it only seems to be supported on iPhone and Android; there are hints in some forum postings that it will be supported on BBs, but nothing about when. More seriously for us, it only supports IPN using the account profile settings. For this particular application, we need to receive an IPN notification at a non-default URL.

Is there a way to get Buy Now buttons working in a default BlackBerry browser? If not, is there any other PayPal tool that can work on the BlackBerry to provide a user experience similar to a Buy Now button?

Solved? click "Accept as solution". Helpful? give kudos by clicking on the star.
Please use plain text.
Developer
TimothySvecz
My Device: 8530

Re: Can PayPal Buy Now buttons work on BB browser?

Please use plain text.
Developer
Ted_Hopp

Right. As I said, we're familiar with PayPal's mobile checkout. One problem with it is that IPN notifications can only occur to a uri set in our account profile. We need to customize where IPN notifications go, just as can be done with WPS. Also, an account profile URI would then be the default behavior for all PayPal transactions, which causes problems with things like invoice payments. We already ran into that problem with some other work we were doing.

Mobile checkout also apparently requires that customers have a PayPal account before they can pay us, while WPS allows our customers to pay by credit card without a PayPal account.

Finally, PayPal only has libraries for iPhone and Android, with no clue about when they will support BlackBerry. It seems that mobile checkout can be used without these libraries, but the lack of support makes us nervous.

Solved? click "Accept as solution". Helpful? give kudos by clicking on the star.
Please use plain text.
Developer
Ted_Hopp

Follow-up info: it appears that these problems go away in the new BB browser that comes with OS 6. (Not that this is much help for our pre-OS 6 customers. :smileysad:)

I read somewhere on the PayPal site that the problem might have to do with the Accept http header that arrives with the request. Does the BB browser send a different Accept header when the browser identity option is changed from BlackBerry to Firefox or IE?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Gunj

Hi,

Is it possible to  implement paypal in our  blackberry application, java api for paypal are not working in blackberry

Please use plain text.