Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
jmrunge
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 9300
Accepted Solution

Cant get Ripple working!

Hi, I've tried all solutions posted in other topics and cant get Ripple to work at all.  It opens and shows up a blank screen.  Only thing I can do is right click and "Inspect".  I already changed config.ini, executed both ripple.exe and node.exe in compatibility mode, turned off windows firewall and am not behind any proxy.  What else can I do? Is there a log to look at?

Im working on an Acer Aspire 5542-5241 with ATI Radeon HD 4200 Graphics and using Win7 32 bits.

Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance!

Juan Martin Runge

New Contributor
bgibbons
My Device: Bold 9900

Re: Cant get Ripple working!

I've experienced the same issue.  Are you on a corporate network?  Does Ripple run if you connect to a different network?

Contributor
jmrunge

[ Edited ]

Im at home, no firewall.  Couldnt try it yet on a different network, but Im at a completely open internet connection.   And I was able to run Ripple as a Chrome Extension.  Dont know why it doesnt work as standalone application.

Did you solve it?

Regards,

Juan Martin

Developer
brianjd
My Device: Not Specified

I'm trying to understand your problem, but note, I'm on a mac, and not sure how the actual installation process differs between the two if any.  But in regards to the networking, the supporting service (node/V8) should be bound to your loopback interface (127.0.0.1/localhost).  So you have content in one of these two directories (depending on platform):

• Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<Username>\RippleSites
  • Windows 7: C:\Users\<Username>\RippleSites

But when you point Ripple to "http://localhost:9900/<subdirectory here>", you simply get a blank screen?

Contributor
jmrunge

I will check those locations you pointed at.  My problem is that when I open Ripple I only get a blank screen.  Im not able to point it to any location.  I cant get the initial screen to get loaded... I tried re installing it a number of times, restarting my laptop and a bunch of stuff I found on another posts, but nothing worked.

I'm on a Win7 32 bits.

Thanks!

New Developer
TeleBEEM
My Device: 9630

Ripple is odd, I get the same screen. The buttons to select the frameworks are there, but aren't visible. The thickest button is the Playbook Webworks setting, that's all I know.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
oros
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Hi there,

Can you confirm which JDK(s) you have installed on your PC? This should be viewable under:

C:\Program Files\Java\

C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\

Additionally, from the command-line, could you run the following command and share the result:

java -version

As you are on a 32-bit OS, the following shouldn't be an issue, but I also want to ensure for other users that regardless of OS, it must be 32-bit JDK6 that is installed (i.e. not 64-bit, and not JDK7/anything other than 6.)

Could you also try navigating to this folder and deleting all contents except config.ini:

C:\Documents and Settings\[USER]\Application Data\Research In Motion\Ripple

* The above is for XP, on Windows 7 the path should be:

C:\Users\[USER]\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\Ripple

Finally, can you please post the contents of your config.ini file as well?

Erik Oros

BlackBerry Development Advisor

Erik Oros | @WaterlooErik | eoros@blackberry.com | Developer Issue Tracker

If a reply has answered your question, please click Accept as Solution to help other visitors in the future.
Contributor
jmrunge

Erik,

Thanks for answering!  Finally I have it working... Let me tell you what happened:  All posts talked about changing the file "config.ini" but none told where this file located was.  I started to search and found this location:

C:\Users\[USER]\Application Data\Research In Motion\Ripple

with a config.ini file.  I modified it and nothing happened.  Now that you told me to look at

C:\Users\[USER]\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\Ripple

I found there was another config.ini file with the wrong windowContent value (index.html) and bunch of other stuff.

So, I went to my original location (Application Data) and copied the content of the windowContent value (http://developer.blackberry.com/ripple/).

Modified the config.ini file in AppData with this value and started Ripple.  WORKING!!!

Shame I missed the PlayBook offer... :No:

You should take a look at the installer... If it would have written the correct value in the correct place, there wouldnt have been any problem...

Again, thanks for answering!!!!! Hope this post helps other with the same problem as me...

New Contributor
drlarsen
My Device: n/a

C:\Users\user\Application Data is a junction to C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming, so they actually point to the same content.
Contributor
jmrunge

Well, not in my system.  I can confirm that there are two different directory structures in this two folders.  And there were two different "config.ini" files.  I dont know what Windows did, but that's how actually this is in my system.