Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
kchantp
My Device: Not Specified

Carrier detection through browser

Is there any way to determine the carrier through the browser, perhaps through the user agent?  A way through any type of browser (BlackBerry browser, Internet browser, etc.) I've heard some rumblings about the vendor id but is that reliable?
New Developer
elricho

Re: Carrier detection through browser

Hi,

Try - http://handsetdetection.com

Cheers

Richard

Developer
kchantp

Thank Richard for the link. However, I'm looking for a way to find the carrier of the device, not just the handset.  There may be the same handset on different carriers (especially in the BlackBerry world).  From the looks of it, handset detection only retrieve the handset profile throught the UA Profile.

Any ideas on the carrier?

Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

usually device browsers use an http proxy. The IP of that proxy is sent through the HTTP headers. There are tools to get the physical country of an IP.
works for everything except Blackberry devices (IP is in Canada) and Opera Mini users (uses Opera Software proxy)

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Developer

The vendor id in the UA string will give you the carrier that originally sold the device. However, if a user has an unlocked device or is running the device on a different carrier then it will probably give you incorrect information. I also don't know if there's a table somewhere that lists all the vendor ids. Presumably you're targeting a specific carrier and can easily figure out the corresponding vendor id, so that shouldn't be an issue though.