Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
jischoler
My Device: Playbook 16GB
My Carrier: none

Changing the Playbook Backlight Timer?

Hi,

So, I have searched far and wide in the support forums to see if there was any way to change the backlight settings in the Playbook using webworks. I have found a few messages about not being able to push beyond the 5-minute mark, but my question is different. I was wondering if there was a way to set the backlight timeout to 3 minutes or 5 minutes while the application is running?

I am developing an application that has a three-minute timer, and the screen must be viewable during the entire three minutes. Thus, I would like my webworks application to set the timer to at least 3 minutes, just in case they have their timer set to something different. For example, a person has their backlight timer set to 30 seconds; when they open my application, the application changes their backlight timer to 3 minutes while the it is running.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Developer
JCarty
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9650/BlackBerry Torch 9800

Re: Changing the Playbook Backlight Timer?

Check out this extension:

https://github.com/blackberry/WebWorks-Community-APIs/tree/master/Tablet/sleep
Jerome Carty - Follow jcarty on Twitter@jcarty | #webworks-dev / #BlackberryDev on irc.freenode.net | My Apps
Click "Accept as Solution" if post solved your original issue.. Give like/thumbs up if you feel post is helpful
Please use plain text.
New Developer
jischoler
My Device: Playbook 16GB
My Carrier: none

Thanks for directing me to the API. It seems like everything should be working - I followed the instructions verbatim and compiled the application without errors - but when I run the application with the extension the backlight still times out. I am running OS v 1.0.7.2670 which the extension was tested on, and compiled the sample file but was not able to keep the screen from timing out. If you have any advice on where to go from here that would be great, thanks.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
jeffheifetz
My Device: Bold
My Carrier: Rogers

Hi ,

As you'll note in the description for the API there is a bug on the PlayBook "PR 104184 defect logged: "Unable to change value of systemIdleMode to KEEP_AWAKE"." I believe this will prevent you from achieving this until the bug is fixed.

1.Please resolve your thread by clicking the "Accept as Solution" button below the post which solved your problem!
2. If any post helps you please click the button below the post(s)
Please use plain text.
New Developer
rtholmes
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: N/A

Hi Jeff,

Is there any way to check on the progress of PR 104184? It would be really nice to know if this is on the upcoming Air / Webworks roadmap.

Thanks,

--rth

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
astanley
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

I've published an externally facing version of this issue to the Developer Issue Tracker.  Sorry for the confusion:

https://www.blackberry.com/jira/browse/TABLET-358

Working with the WebWorks and Tablet OS development teams to correct this behavior.

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.
Please use plain text.
New Developer
rtholmes

Thanks Adam. Just an FYI, in Jira I am getting this message when I am logged in and trying to view the issue: "ERROR

It seems that you have tried to perform an operation which you are not permitted to perform."

--rth

Please use plain text.
Developer
cwong15
My Device: Not Specified

astanley wrote:

I've published an externally facing version of this issue to the Developer Issue Tracker.  Sorry for the confusion:

https://www.blackberry.com/jira/browse/TABLET-358

Working with the WebWorks and Tablet OS development teams to correct this behavior.

Does anybody know the status of this issue? TABLET-358 is not publicly visible: you'll get a permission violation if you try to access the above URL, even if you are logged in. Thanks.

Chris

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ninedoors
My Device: Torch & Playbook
My Carrier: Bell

Just looking for status on this bug?

Please use plain text.
New Developer
rtholmes

This functionality isn't supported in ported Android apps either. e.g., 

getWindow().addFlags(WindowManager.LayoutParams.FLAG_KEEP_SCREEN_ON);

enables an Activity to specify that it should not allow the device to sleep. This works on Android devices but is ignored in Android apps ported to TabletOS.

Please use plain text.