Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
tpeiffer
My Device: Not Specified

Channel Push from BES - Does it require java?

Hello,

My team that has been asked to push an icon to 2000+ BlackBerry devices used by our client.  The client has BES installed so they will use that to do the channel push.  The icon we push will open up a mobile version of the website we already provide to them.

Caveats:
  • We are Visual Studio 2008 developers and intend on writing the mobile website using ASP.Net 3.5.
  • Our core functionality is in .Net 3.5 WCF services.  We hope to be able to connect to these services from the mobile website.
  • We do not have any Java tools or web servers installed.  
  • The mobile website must work on other mobile devices, not just the blackberry.

We have several questions.
  • Installation of the Visual Studio plug-in v1.2 will only be necessary so that we can use the Simulator for testing, correct?
  • Is it required that we use Java to create the package that our client uses to push the icon to the users?  The document Developing_Browser_Push_Applications.pdf outlines the headers necessary to do this, but I'm not sure if I can use any technology that can do a POST.

Resources I'm reviewing:

I apologize in advance for the entry level questions.  I tried searching the forums for answers, but came up with nothing conclusive.

Thanks!!
Thad
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Channel Push from BES - Does it require java?

You can use any server side technology that can perform an HTTP POST
Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
New Developer
tpeiffer
My Device: Not Specified

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the response!

So basically then I could create an ASP page (or whatever) that did the post as long as their server could host that technology.  They would then either give us the list of credentials and we'd hard-code them into our page and loop through them or they would pass the credentials to our page on the querystring and we'd just post individually.  We'd just give them the page to run from their BES, then, since they are the only ones with permission to push to the BlackBerry devices.

-Thad

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
tneil
My Device: Z10

Yes, that should do the trick :smileyhappy:
Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
PeterCong
My Device: 9340

Hi, i have to same question, have you found any solution?
Basically, I created an ASP.net MVC mobile web project using VS2012, and it is OK afer tested on Blackberry Simulator. Now, I want to make this apps to working on Blackberry handheld, basically, I need an new icon which contains the URL of the new mobile apps, when user click it, it will launch the mobile apps on Blackberry, I just can not find a way to push the icon with URL to blackberry screen, please let me know if you have a solution of this. thanks a lot,
Please use plain text.