Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
merkurio
My Device: Not Specified

Column Width Issue

Hi, I'm developing a web application for the blackberry using the Blackberry 9530 Simulator and the browser don't respect the column width defined inline or via class by me. I saw other post with a proposed solution (deleting CSS table-layout) but does not work for me. I've tried with CSS table-layout property, defining inline width for each TD, defining a CSS class for each TD and also tried another things.

My test table is located at http://www.pms.baxoneu.net/mobile/dd.htm

If you see it in a blackberry, the columns Var and Y/Y get resized causing a wrap in text or image.

I know the page and column view, but I also tried meta name="HandheldFriendly" content="true" and nothing.

I also know tha you do not recommend the use of tables but I have many of them and If some text get wrapped then some tables get above others.

Is there any way in wich the Blackberry browser RESPECT my column width definition?

Thank's in advance for any tip or answer and sorry for my English,

Martin

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Re: Column Width Issue

The rendering is the same on Firefox3 and on my Storm 9530 4.7.0.122.

HTH.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Developer
merkurio

Dear Xandrex, thank's for your answer. Maybe there are some differences between the emulator and the real device because, as you can see, I've added a link with a snapshot of the same table on Firefox3 and on the Storm 9530 emulator and I've highlated the column issue that I mentioned. Is what you saw on your Blackberry exactly what you see on my snapshot?

Link with snapshot http://www.pms.baxoneu.net/mobile/table.html

Please use plain text.
New Developer
merkurio

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone, I've checked

• BlackBerry Browser Version: 4.7.0 Fundamentals Guide
  • BlackBerry Browser Version: 4.6.0 Content Design Guidelines
  • BlackBerry Browser CSS Reference
  • BlackBerry Browser HTML Reference
  • BlackBerry Browser JavaScript Reference

and also the 14 pages of posts of the Browser Development Forum. I saw that BB scales the page and I tried the viewport or hanheldfriendly friendly meta but nothing works. I tried to modify via JS with a timeout so I can cheat the borwser, but nothing happens. I saw in the javascript reference the HTMLTableCellElement Object with the width and nowrap property (for use with TD or TH) both of them DEPRECATED in the BB HTML Reference.

So, Can i REALLLY control the width of a TD?

How can I use HTMLTableCellElementwidth property on an existing table?

I saw that some of the BB members said that a wellformed and validated page would be enought for render correctly a page, but this clearly is not the case. 

Is there ANY way to REALLY control the column width of a table without the interference of the "intelligence" of the BB that MODIFY my content?

Thank's again,

Martin

Message Edited by merkurio on 06-12-2009 10:52 AM
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
aamalraj
My Device: 4.6

[ Edited ]

is there a mechanism to control the width of a TD ??

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

at the HTML4 level you have the width attribute, but it is deprecated (will work on most browsers though) :
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/tables.html#adef-width-TH

at the CSS level you have the width property:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/REC-CSS2-20110607/visudet.html#propdef-width

and of course, beware of the CSS box model since the width of a TD depends on the width on the other TDs in other TR:
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/box.html

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
aamalraj

This is of no help when the table is viewed in blackberry emails. The Columns wrap around the text and the table doesn't seem to be aligned,
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

Indeed, this is an issue for any newsletter editor. You do not control the box model for the email browsers, so you have to copy what other newsletters do successfully.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
aamalraj

Thanks Xandrex...Could you please tell me how to do that ? Any reference links on this? it would be of great helps.
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

hello,

if I were you I would mimic what do professionals with their newsletters. Check Amazon, Paypal, Pixmania and Apple.

Please use plain text.