Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
peardox
My Device: Playbook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha B, 2x Dev Alpha C
Accepted Solution

Cordova lands

Weds if anyone wants a heads up

Click the like button if you find my posts useful!
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

Re: Cordova lands

Great news. I will give it another test drive to see if it can be a viable option.
Developer
peardox
My Device: Playbook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha B, 2x Dev Alpha C

I can tell you the story

BB have been working behind the scenes and funding Cordova for a year now

As is (usual) with BB we find out last moment

Never-the-less this is happening

I am informed that there is a Blog post due for release on Weds

I realize my info is sketchy but that is all I can find out

I hope this helps

Click the like button if you find my posts useful!
BlackBerry Development Advisor
twindsor
My Device: Passport
My Carrier: Bell

With the 2.0 beta of WebWorks, and Cordova 3.2, both SDKs are essentially identical. This is awesome news for all of us HTML5 developers. You can develop with Cordova or PhoneGap or WebWorks and use the same commands, the same code, and the same plugins.

The WebWorks SDK download allows you to get started quicker by including the official BlackBerry plugins, and the "blackberry10" platform in any project you create with it. It also adds a GUI to set up projects, which doesn't exist with vanilla Cordova. Other than that, it's still Cordova underneath so you can add other platforms to a project you created with it, and jump right in to cross platform development: https://developer.blackberry.com/html5/documentation/beta/porting_from_webworks_to_other_platforms.h...

Now you can leverage BlackBerry 10 as your primary platform and take advantage of it's HTML5 capabilities and the value that we place on WebWorks applications for developing and testing your applications before trying it out on a mass-market phone where Web is a second-class citizen. I liken it to back in the day when you developed on FireFox and then tested on IE, cause if you went the other way you'd have so many hacks in your code you'd never get it to work right on a Browser that actually followed standards :smileywink:

Tim Windsor
Open Source Technical Lead