Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
ingvar_e
My Device: Torch 9800, Bold 9700
My Carrier: Movistar, Telenor
Accepted Solution

Cordova?

I am new to WebWorks, have been using Java for a couple of years. Will "port" the Java app to OS10 Web Work.

Does Cordova "buy" me anything? Read some on the phone-gap web site but could not figure out  what the benefits where if any..

If everything seems to be under control, you're just not driving fast enough
-Mario Andretti-
Please use plain text.
Developer
interfaSys
My Device: Z10, Q10, 9900, 9790, PlayBook,
My Carrier: T-Mobile UK, Three, O2, Orange, Sunrise, Swisscom

Re: Cordova?

You'll benefit from using Cordova if:

- you plan on releasing your app on multiple platforms

- you don't rely heavily on one platform's specific hardware/API

- you're using an OS agnostic UI or are using a framework which let's you easily manage the different UIs

If that doesn't apply to you, then you need to decide whether you want to use some ready-made components and if you have some HTML designing skills or help.

If you want to write some HTML code and add Javascript to control it all {

If you want to target most recent BBOS versions (6-10), then BBUI.js would be your best option.

If you already know JQuery and want to try and get that native look, then you could go with JQuery Mobile and the incomplete, but decent BB10 theme.

If you'd rather hand code most of the app, there are still libraries which could help you go faster

} else if you want code to generate your app {

then something like Sencha Touch and its suite of CSS styled components would suit you, but don't expect to get the native look...yet.

} else {

there are lots of libraries/building blocks you can use

}

In all these cases, WebWorks is just a wrapper giving you access to the BB API for things like ,BBM, camera or file access.

--
Olivier - interfaSys ltd
Developing for BlackBerry 10 devices using the Sencha Touch framework.
Please use plain text.
Developer
ingvar_e

Thanks interfaSys.

The application is developed, (or rather ported from Java 5.0)  for the major platforms. For BB it is to OS10. There are different developments teams for each platform.

When looking at some of the documentation for Phone-gap it looked like even if the html5-part of the GUI could possible be the same for the different platforms the API-calls would be different. If it all boils down to that the only common part would be the HTML5-part  of the GUI that is common between the platforms it looks like an overkill to use Cordova.

-Mario Andretti-
Please use plain text.
Developer
interfaSys
My Device: Z10, Q10, 9900, 9790, PlayBook,
My Carrier: T-Mobile UK, Three, O2, Orange, Sunrise, Swisscom

In the future, you should be able to easily change your target OS in Cordova and the right API should be selected behind the scene, but for now, if you have a team working on each platform, I think it would be best to just work with WebWorks as the BB layer and a common set of framework/libraries for the HTML5 bit. It's easy to build your own javascript abstraction layer to make sure the right API calls are made on each platform.

--
Olivier - interfaSys ltd
Developing for BlackBerry 10 devices using the Sencha Touch framework.
Please use plain text.
Developer
ingvar_e

That is how I figured it. Many tanks for your confirmation.

-Mario Andretti-
Please use plain text.