Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: Vodafone NL

Could we split up the forum between BlackBerry smart-phones and the BlackBerry PlayBook ?

I currently find it hard to discuss particulars for the WebWorks FrameWork on the PlayBook and find related items as both are now in the same stack.

e.g. this is what I would like to develop using WebWorks for the PlayBook but is not yet possible:

I would like users to use their own images within my application.

To do this I would need to be able to access files on the PlayBook from WebWorks.

There are no API's listed for these on the PlayBook, while they are available on the BlackBErry smart-phones.

Do I need to rely on the HTML5 JS API's ? (using maybe PhoneGap?)

This are very limited and will get me in a guessing game as it gives no handles to find the file structure or browse files.

Another method I would liek to see is we could embed the Camera into the WebWorks with some controls (take picture, record) and get file hanldes back after the recording/picture taken so we can display/modify the taken picture fast and easily.

@reumerd-- @BBDevGroupNL -- about me
If you like it, LIKE it ;-) ----- If it's solved, press solved ! --- If you solved it yourself, please let us know! We might have the same problem!
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Could we split up the forum between BlackBerry smart-phones and the BlackBerry PlayBook ?

I agree with you, it would be nicer if we can separate the Playbook-specific posts from the non-Playbook posts.  

Regarding PhoneGap, I'm not sure how they can support Playbook since it's not yet out.

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Could we split up the forum between BlackBerry smart-phones and the BlackBerry PlayBook ?

The file API is still under construction for WebWorks on the PlayBook beta.  PhoneGap does not yet support the PlayBook.  I was actually out visiting with the guys at Nitobi/PhoneGap Wed-Thurs last week talking about the PlayBook and other web strategies.

We also have a takeAPicture() API under construction for both the Smartphone and PlayBook platform.  They are on their way, but are not yet available.

The topic of splitting the forums has come up a few times.... While there are API differences between the two platforms today, the majority of how WebWorks functions is the same.  The differences between BlackBerry 6 and the PlayBook surrounding what is supported in HTML5 is similar to the differences between BlackBerry 5.0 and 6.0 browsers.

The two WebWorks platforms will be converging into one single one in the future and we didn't want to split the community now and then pull it back together into one in the future.  

We find that the majority of the issues that are raised in the forums are around general web/HTML5 topics and WebWorks config.xml white listing and feature declaration.  Because of this, we didn't want people to feel as though they had to double post in two forums in order to get the majority of their questions answered.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Developer
My Device: (BlackBerry Z10)-> Q10/Passport Dual Use

I will post this reply as a main thread so that others can start using the naming convention.

A Solution

Naming New Threads

For all threads related specifically for WebWorks Development for the BlackBerry PlayBook:

• Start thread with PB
         e.g.
                       PB - How To Install New PlayBook SIM for Mac & Windows
                       PB - Question About Organizing Assets in File System

PB stands for PlayBook.

Searching for PlayBook Threads

Using the search feature type in the PB in the search field to filter the "Web Development" section for the BlackBerry PlayBook threads.

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 32GB
My Carrier: Sprint

I like the prefixing idea.

Staff UI Prototyper (read: full-time hacker)

My BB10 apps: Screamager | Scientific RPN Calculator | The Last Weather App