Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Regular Contributor
iruka
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: DiGi

Creating A Download Page

Hi all.

I'm trying to create a page for users to download the .jad by placing the link "http://someserver/somefolder/installerdate/app.jad" to either maybe a button or anchor links. 

Is there a way to checked if the app is installed in the device? If the app is being installed, then the download button/link won't be displayed.

Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Administrator
astanley
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Creating A Download Page

No I don't think you can.  You cannot poll the BBOS device to see if the app has been installed from a Web server.

However doesn't the JAD file tell you if the app has already been installed (i.e. when you re-load it in the browser after installing the app)?

Otherwise, the only way I can think this could work is if the devices are being used within a corporate environment and the BES (BlackBerry Enterprise Server) administrator has modified the rimpublic.property file to allow the device PIN to be transmitted as an header with any HTTP request.  More info described here:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Web-and-WebWorks-Development/Retrieve-information-about-the-B...

You could modify your app to make a WebService call to your server to say "I have been installed on this PIN" and save that value to some server-side DB.

If these requirements are in place, then 1) you can identify who is trying to access the JAD by looking at the PIN HTTP header and 2) choose to display the download button based on the existance of that PIN in your server-side DB.

This may be far more work than you're looking to do, but is really the only solution I can come up with for the JAD app architecture.

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.
Please use plain text.