Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Airtel
Accepted Solution

Creating a .cod file for BB6/7/8

Hello All,

I am working on BB10 application, now for backward compatibility is it possible to create .cod file with the same code with i am creating .bar file for BB10.

can i install .bar file directly on BB6/7/8?

please help me in this.

--------
- If a post contains the solution to the problem, please click "Accept as Solution"
- If a post contains helpful content, please give it a "Thumbs Up"

developer.blackberry.com
@BlackBerryDev
Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Creating a .cod file for BB6/7/8

You cannot install a BAR file on BB6/7 (there is no 8). The platform architecture for the OS changed from Java to QNX and this changed how applications are packaged. You would need to recompile your code using the BlackBerry WebWorks SDK for Smartphones to generate a COD file.

There is no guarantee that all application features will work since the platform evolved considerably since then, specifically in terms of HTML5 support, changes in config.xml and platform performance.  If you use HTML5 features that were only supported on BB10, they will not work on BB6/7.

However, I would expect you will be able to re-use a lot of your application content when re-packaging for the older BBOS.  It may require some changes to your app.

If you make use of any WebWorks APIs in your app, please check the supported platforms tables in the API reference guide for compatibility:

https://developer.blackberry.com/html5/apis/

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.
Trusted Contributor

@Astanley,can u give me any document/link where i can get information about how to package the code for BB6/7, generating a .cod file.
--------
- If a post contains the solution to the problem, please click "Accept as Solution"

developer.blackberry.com
@BlackBerryDev
Retired

I certainly can.

Here is our getting started guide for Packaging & deploying to a device (BlackBerry 7 or earlier):

https://developer.blackberry.com/html5/documentation/loading_your_app_on_a_smartphone_1876977_11.htm...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trusted Contributor

@astanley,
Can i create an application with the same name and upload .bar and .cod files, .bar file will be for qnx based phones and .cod will be for java based phones.
Please confirm me.
--------

developer.blackberry.com
@BlackBerryDev
Retired

Yes you can. Through the BlackBerry World vendor portal, you can create multiple bundles for each application.  For each of those bundles, you upload the appropriate file(s) and specify which BlackBerry device model, OS (and even carrier) should be supported.