Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
Philipk
My Device: Dev Alpha & PlayBook

Re: Data based URLs

PM your app store email and I'll sandbox you so you can see the issue
My Device: Playbook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha B, 2x Dev Alpha C

OK Phil

Once I know what you're trying to do I may have less wishy-washy answers

Click the like button if you find my posts useful!
Developer
peardox

OK - I know what Phil's after now so here's the problem

You have a small amount of text to transmit to the user but you can't be sure that you're online

This is a situation that happens a lot - SMS is the most obvious example like that I can think of

In cases like this you need to know something has happened so that you can try again if it fails

A simple example would be to use local storage (LS for brevity) - here's how that scanario would go

1) write a JSON record to LS

2) try to send it

3) did it go?

Depending on the answer to (3) leave it where it is in LS (failed) or delete it from LS (went)

This provides any app with resiliance when transferring information to an external source

The important thing is catering for the cases where your initial message didn't get through and you have to cater for as many as viable

Things that can go wrong are numerous, the worst example I can think of is that the server and device are up but the signal is bad so it gets garbled on the way.

For this reason I would suggest hashing your data before send then get the endpoint to reply with its own hash of the data it got - compare the numbers, if same it got thru

I would also number the messages sent as you may send more than one at the same time and you won't know which one comes back first

For failed messages you need to try resending them every so often

Basically everything lives on the device until it's hit somewhere you know it can reliably be transferred from

Once it's gone, remove it from LS and forget about it

Developer
Philipk
My Device: Dev Alpha & PlayBook

Seems pointless to connect to a server. Sending data from the device to the server and back to the device?

I think I used filesystem api in the past to save a Base64 so maybe that code can be modified for CSV.

It would be awesome if in the future BlackBerry allowed you to invoke the browser with a datastring.

We can continue this in private if you like but the above is your basic method of knowing it went thru.

Obviously the download button on your app wants to transfer data [somewhere] and not back onto the device

If you simply ask me the Q you want answered :smileyhappy:

Handshaking is extremely important.

Send a message and confirm reciept of the message without ambiguity - the reply is small regardless of the size of the sent data

For example, we've got that encryption extension on git now - that would quickly calc a MD5 / SHA1

You're after hash compare ONLY

I could send a gig to a server and know it arrived simply via a hash returned via AJAX

I don't see the problem