Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 32GB
My Carrier: Sprint

Debug token

[ Edited ]

Dear RIM,

Seriously, it's WAY, WAY too complicated to sideload apps onto a device for debugging / testing. My head is spinning! And more important, it's not working. The instructions go to some AIR page at some point while i'm on WebWorks.

I got stuck at this page:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/23959/Configure_app_for_debug_tokens_cmd_line_...

It mentions 'blackberry-tablet.xml'. What is this? I've never touched such a file before so I have no idea what 'my blackberry-tablet.xml' is.

It also says:

1. When you package your application, make sure that you include the -devMode command line option.
I have no idea what this switch does but the WebWorks bbwp command doesn't seem to support it.
Seriously, folks, why does this need to be so ridiculously hard? On a HP WebOS device you just plug it into your computer through USB and install an app. That's it. No more, no less. What's the point of all this stuff?
And more importantly, how do I get it to work for a WebWorks app?

Staff UI Prototyper (read: full-time hacker)

My BB10 apps: Screamager | Scientific RPN Calculator | The Last Weather App

Developer
My Device: curve 8900
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Debug token

I haven't had a chance to work with the new sdk yet but this does sound confusing, the air sdk seems to be mixed with the webworks sdk...

I might install the new webworks sdk later on today and repackage one of my apps, I'll let you know if I get it to work.

--
Bitbox
New Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 LE
My Carrier: Bell

Since I don't have an actual device to test on, I can't say for sure.

But I did look into the command line option for adding the debug token and have tried it with the simulator. That doesn't work but I assume it's because it's not a real device and debugging is turned on anyways.

Just look for the command line option for adding the debug token and you shouldn't have any problems. I'll test and report back once I've gotten my device.

MaxxWares.com
Current apps:
-BBOS 10-
MaxxTransit - Coming soon
Developer

I got the token registered with the server and installed on the device just fine. For me the problem lies (apparently) in packaging the bar correctly. Right now my bars won't install. Just get an error about them not being signed.

Developer
My Device: 9300
My Carrier: AT&T

Marco,

if you unzip your bar file, you'll find the blackberry-tablet.xml file. 

I haven't attempted anything with the debug tokens yet so I can't add anything on that piece.

Right so if I understand this correctly I'd have to unzip my unsigned bar, edit that file and then re-zip and rename to .bar? Interesting. Will try thast tonight. That's not in the instructions as far as I remember by the way...

Developer
My Device: 9300
My Carrier: AT&T

That's right.

I know, I go off the beaten path a little just to see where the RIM walls actually are sometimes.

I think there is just a <debug> setting in the file that you need to tinker with,
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900 - Blackberry Torch 9810 - Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

Personally, i didn't bother with the debug token. I am signing and uploading my app directly to the Playbook for testing, same way Was with the simulator. Of course, I'm having to sign each update, but I don't see any issue with that.

Sandbox Media
AppWorld Submissions: Pocket Bartender Lite | Pocket Bartender Pro
Developer

Doing the same now. We have a gazillion signings available anyway so maybe this isn't even worth bothering with...

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

HI Marco,

Did you manage to install your bars to the device using debug token? I did have same error of "result::failure 500 BarFileUnsignedError" message when I deploy the unsigned bar onto PlayBook device.

Cheers,
vgrace