Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Verizon

Deploy app to device not on local network?

I'm a developer on the West Coast.  I've been building a Webworks app that invokes the camera so needs to be tested on an actual device, and I've been successfully deploying builds to my development Z10 using the command-line tools and deploying directly to the device via its IP address on my local network.  

The client is on the East Coast.  They want to see how things are going, and want to start testing the app in its current state to offer feedback and bug reports on the parts that are done. 

How do I deploy my app in development to their phone?  

New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Deploy app to device not on local network?

Followup -- I understand that they could install the whole SDK and deploy the app package that way, but they're the client not a developer and it'll be tough getting that set up for them. 

If that's the only way, however, do they need to have developer tokens set up on their machine?  Or can I just have the dev token in the package so they can simply run blackberry-deploy to push my .bar file to their phone? 

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha B, 2x Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: 3, Orange, Vodafone

If you sign before you send they won't need a debug token

For a novice you probably want to check out one of the many side loaders available

Just google "BlackBerry 10 sideload bar file" and pick something nice + easy

A BAR file is actually just a ZIP so you're giving them the full source code - hopefully they won't have anyone around who knows that)

Click the like button if you find my posts useful!
BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

[ Edited ]

If you are willing to create a draft entry in BlackBerry World for the app you can use the method described in the following post. It allows you  make the app avaialble via BlackBerry World to anyone in your Sandboxed list that has the application ID. It won't be available to the rest of the world though.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-World-Development/Test-Build-before-Submitting-to-...

edit: 

Here is the official documentation on this process as well:

https://developer.blackberry.com/devzone/blackberryworld/testing_apps_with_a_sandbox_user_account.ht...

--
System Software Developer II - Enterprise R&D

@roryboy

1.Please resolve your thread by clicking the "Accept as Solution" button below the post which solved your problem!
2. If any post helps you please click the like/thumbs up button below the post(s)