Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
My Device: 850>6230>7230>8700>9000>9700>9900>Z10>Z30
My Carrier: Rogers
Accepted Solution

Deploying an Unsigned application on Playbook

Running into an error when trying to deploy an Unsigned application on a Playbook, 

result::failure 500 BarFileUnsignedError

To simplify the debugging I grabbed the MenuBar sample from 

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Web-and-WebWorks-Development/Sample-Code-Swipe-down-menu-for-...

Compiled it with a slightly modified config.xml, just added the <author> and  <authorId> tags

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<widget xmlns=" http://www.w3.org/ns/widgets"

xmlns:rim="http://www.blackberry.com/ns/widgets"

version="1.0.0.1">

<name>MenuBar Sample</name>

<description> Sample that demonstrates how to create your own menu bars within a BlackBerry WebWorks application for Tablet OS</description>

<author>MYCOMPANY</author>

<authorId>g*******************_YrSekQ</authorId>

<content src="menuBar.html"/>

<feature id="blackberry.app.event" required="true" version="1.0.0.0"/>

<access uri="http://www.blackberry.com" subdomains="true"/>  

</widget>

This is the deploy command

I:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry WebWorks SDK for TabletOS 2.0.0.4\bbwp\blackberry-tablet-sdk\bin>blackberry-deploy -installApp -password ***-device 169.254.129.45 -package "i:\BB Dev\BAR\menubar\menuBar.bar"

Sending Install request...

Info: Action: Install

Info: File size: 64519

Info: Installing ...

Info: Processing 64519 bytes

actual_dname::

actual_id::

actual_version::

result::failure 500 BarFileUnsignedError

I think my issue lies in the config.xml and blackberry-tablet.xml files, the documentation is not very clear on the requirement of these files.

Where do the <author> and  <authorId> tags belong?

My blackberry-tablet.xml file contains

<qnx>

</qnx>

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Developer

Re: Deploying an Unsigned application on Playbook

Got to be joking...got it to work my problem was I followed the instructions to a tee.

The instructions say 

Configure your application for use with a debug token from the command line

The BlackBerry® Tablet OS allows you to run unsigned applications on a BlackBerry® tablet that has a debug token installed. To load an unsigned application you must configure the application's author and authorIdproperties match those of specified by the debug token. 

1. At the command prompt, type the following and record the information in the Package-Author and Package-Author-Id fields. You can find the the blackberry-airpackager in the bbwp/blackberry-tablet-sdk/bin folder in yourBlackBerry® WebWorks™ SDK installation.

blackberry-airpackager -listManifest <path to debug token>

1. In your blackberry-tablet.xml file, create or modify the author and authorId values. Type the information that you recorded from the output of the blackberry-airpackager command in step 1.
  2. Save your blackberry-tablet.xml file.

You can now load your application on a tablet without signing it.

Package and deploy your application from the command line

1. Open a command prompt.
  2. Navigate to the folder where your application and XML configuration files are stored.
  3. Type the following command to package, deploy, and launch your application from the command line.

4.  blackberry-deploy -installApp -device <deviceIP> -package <BAR file path>

-password <device password>

That does NOT work...when you are compiling your application make sure the blackberry-tablet.xml is included alongside the config.xml etc files.

Contributor
My Device: Playbook OS

That is not working for can you post an example blackberry-tablet.xm
Highlighted
Developer

[ Edited ]

My test blackberry-tablet.xml file contains only the following 4 lines but I have not used my actual company/author name or authorID.   In case you don't know....you have to use the same author you used when you enrolled with RIM for your tokens, and you get the authorid from running the "blackberry-airpackager -listManifest " command.

<qnx>

</qnx>

The instructions are really good, except for the "Package and deploy your application from the command line" section where it states

Navigate to the folder where your application and XML configuration files are stored.

Type the following command to package, deploy, and launch your application from the command line.

blackberry-deploy -installApp -device <deviceIP> -package <BAR file path> -password <device password>

I found this does not work. For me unless I included the blackberry-tablet.xml file along side my config.xml etc when I compiled the application, the blackberry-tablet.xml inside the compiled .BAR file was a generic blackberry-tablet.xml file , ie the wrong data. So when I tried using my preconfigured blackberry-tablet.xml file at the time of deploy, as the instructions say, it had no effect as there was already a blackberry-tablet.xml inculded.

***However you could uncompress the .BAR file remove the blackberry-tablet.xml edit the MANIFEST.MF file to match your author and authorid values recompress, then the above instrutions were correct....Or you can uncompress edit the blackberry-tablet.xml and MANIFEST.MF inside the .BAR and compress...but really the instructions should say include the blackberry-tablet.xml at compile time, would save a lot of headaches as this writes the correct values to the MANIFEST.MF and includes the correct blackberry-tablet.xml file inside the .BAR

Contributor
My Device: Pearl 8100
My Carrier: AT & T

Thanks CarlosHenriques! Debug token worked finally with webworks!

New Developer
My Device: Bold

Are these instructions listed here still the ones to use?  The ones on the website are still wrong?  I find that hard to believe that bad instructions haven't been corrected.

Developer

Maybe those instructions work with an earlier version of the SDK or maybe I missed a step...anything is possible but all I know is when I follow the instructions currently posted ie running the deploy command with the blackberry-tablet.xml file included in the same directory as my .BAR file it ignores my blackberry-tablet.xml file as the compile step has already bundled a default copy of said file inside the .BAR.

Are you able to get the application to deploy following the steps posted online?
New Developer

I'll let you know once my manager figures out how to get me a real device.  Right now I'm just simulating (though I've been studying the deployment instructions in great detail because I know that soon, really soon, I'll have a real tablet to test on...yeah...real soon...I can feel it!)

Contributor
My Device: Playbook OS

[ Edited ]

Let be help your manager

THE SIMULATOR is not the same as the real thing. I had to fix my app when I saw it on the hardware the as scale was all wrong :-(

New Developer

We're expecting to see some weirdness, especially since my App is a GWT application converted into WebWorks.  Who knows what's going to happen?