Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Retired
melleb
My Device: Z10

Dev-centric video channel: let us know what you want to see

Ahoy, intrepid developers!

If I might be so bold as to momentarily distract you from your compiling, I have a favour to ask. (Yeah, she just got here and she's already asking for favours…)

We’ve been working on a project here at the Stately BlackBerry Manor, and I would love to get your input. We're building what we’ve colloquially referred to as “DevTube”, i.e. a video channel of developer-centric content. So I figured it would be a good idea to actually ask you what you'd like to see on it.

Would love to know what types/lengths of content you'd be interested in, what you'd like to learn about, who you'd like to meet, what kinds of things make you stop watching and go back to Reddit…

Some general categories we're thinking of so far:

• Developers! Folks who are building cool apps, their companies, processes, products, etc.
  • Technical product demos. How does new stuff being launched make your development life easier, better, faster, etc.
  • Screencasts. How to do…?
  • The business of apps. Lots of you are building businesses out there. What are the best practices, success stories, etc.
  • Meet the team. Lots of you know lots of us. At least online. Get to know Dev Relations and other relevant RIM folk and who can help you get stuff done.
  • Event coverage. Keynotes, interviews, etc. You're seeing this stuff on the dev blog and whatnot, just want to have it in one place.

I can't guarantee we'll be able to implement everything you throw out there, but geek-friendly and fluff-free is my ultimate goal.

Much obliged,

Melle

Cross-posted to: Java, Adobe AIR, Native, and Cascades.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Melanie Baker
Community Manager, Developer Relations
mebaker@blackberry.com
Developer
bnolan001
My Device: Bold 9930 and PlayBook

Re: Dev-centric video channel: let us know what you want to see

I'd really be interested in the developer and business of apps.  As a weekend app coder having access, especially to the business of apps content, would be really helpful.  Length wise I'd say 5 minute videos for basic content and up to 15 or 20 for more advanced topics.

"Not to know what happened before you were born is to be forever a child." Marcus Tullius Cicero
Developer
songdawg
My Device: n/a

I would be interested in best practices and how tos on creating enterprise strength/production ready applications. 

Developer
Philipk
My Device: Dev Alpha & PlayBook

I like watching videos on the DevBlog so having a vidoe only section would be even better.

Over view of frameworks is nice, sometimes its just easier to see what a framework does rather then read/pictures.

My Device: Bold 9780 + 32GB Playbook, Dev Alpha B & C

Great idea,

As someone who currently codes mostly on the weekends and weeknights, it would be nice to have a place to get my updates on the latest happenings and such in the app development world.

And also as i, as well as others im sure, are independent developers who don't have the connections are resources as a small app business it would be a good place to feel like we can get some news as to hows others started down that path so that maybe one day we too could make our hobbies/ passions full time.

i would like to hear how this is progressing.

Retired
melleb

We are getting close to being able to launch. We have a channel URL, some content, and are working on a production schedule for what will be going on the site. One of the teams we'll be working with is growing (as is ours), so once they have their new folks on board things will speed up, too.

Still aiming to launch things at the end of this month or early in July, and we'll make sure everyone knows. (And hopefully leaves nice comments on the videos.) :smileyhappy:

Melanie Baker
mebaker@blackberry.com
Developer
Philipk

@melleb can't wait, I think I might be in one of the videos from BBJam Toronto.

I've seen a rough cut from Toronto, but don't know yet what all will make it to the final version. Will holler as soon as I know if you've achieved media fame. :smileyhappy:

Melanie Baker
mebaker@blackberry.com
Developer
Philipk

@Melleb I wouldn't mind being cut out. I think I'd mainly be famous for getting extremely nervous around gorgeous girls...

I'll watch every single video if its her talking about Apps #CreepMoment