Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
mohitbb
My Device: 9800
Accepted Solution

Developing for BB o.s 7 & earlier using PhoneGap 2.9.0.

I'm using this https://github.com/ctetreault/incubator-cordova-docs/blob/master/docs/en/edge/guide/getting-started/... guide to understand that how could i compile my alreay build app to BB o.s. 

Everything seems to fine but when i go to STEP 2: it navigates to this page https://developer.blackberry.com/html5/download/#smartphones where i can only see the stuff related to Blackberry 10.

So have some doubts:

Q1. Am i using the correct resources ( 2 links above) to get insight of what intend to do?

Q2. Installing  BB 10 web works sdk for BB O.S. Bcoz that's where the 2 link will navigate you to download the BB10 webworks sdk?

Q3. What is diff b/w: using the approach that is mention in first link and mine approach.

My Appraoch: I installed the Blackberry web works sdk 2.3.1.5, used Aptana studio 3 to create my project, in my project i have manually pasted the 4 files of cordova project  1. LICENCES.txt   2. cordova.js  3. events.html  4. template.html in my project with other files (html, css, js e,.t.c) .

Also i have sucessfully installed the signing keys within my Blackberry web works 2.3.1.5\bin folder.

To package and build i use RIPPLE Chrome Extemsion and Command line(mostly cmd line) and sussfully able to sign my app with signature tool.

Guys pls help me clear this confusion.

New Developer
revapotdar
My Device: Torch 9800

Re: Developing for BB o.s 7 & earlier using PhoneGap 2.9.0.

1.You are using the correct links. You will see BB10 stuff on these sites now becuase BlackBerry is really focusing on it.

2. To download the tools for developing for BB OS, go to this link: https://developer.blackberry.com/bbos/html5/download/

3. The end result should be the same between your approach and the one that is mentioned in the link. :smileyhappy:

Cheers!

Click thumbs up if you appreciate the answer.

Contributor
mohitbb

[ Edited ]

Few more: 

1. In many articles i have read that in order to build apps we need to install ANT. But in my case everything went ok without even installing the ANT. why?

2. Is it possible the we can use BB 10 sdk to compile app for BB 07 & earlier

3. What are the out files if you can a project using phone gap?

e.g you create a helloworld project then what files does it gives back?

I am curious to learn the nuts and bolts of this whole architecture. 

New Developer
revapotdar

1. I am not quite sure about the use of Apache ANT, but if it is working fine without it, then you're good to go.

2. No, it is not possible to compile for BB OS using the BB10 SDK.

3. On output, it gives you two folders with two different types of installs. One is the 'Over The Air (OTA)' install files, with which you can install the app over the web. In itm you will have the required .jad and .cod files.
    Second is the 'Standard Install' folder which will have all your java code files with which app can be installed from the App World.

Click on the thumbs up if you appreciate the answer.

Contributor
mohitbb

#3. you get me lil bit wrong. Didn't ask for the final installable files :smileyhappy:
By saying output. I meant whats the difference b/w creating a project using phonegap. What files it gives e.g project.properties e.t.c.
New Developer
revapotdar

Do you mean what is the difference between output files given by the Webworks SDK and Phonegap? I think they both are the same.