Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
mttplm
My Device: Torch

Re: Device memory is Low issue for an WebWork app

any news? We also are experiencing the same situation and the final client start to be a little bit disappointed :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Cesar_Vanatur
My Device: Storm

Hello all.

We have the same problem.

Any "tip" to have a temporal fix?.

We hope a solution as soon as possible.

Thanks, kind regards.

Please use plain text.
Retired
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

We're still working on a solution

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mttplm
My Device: Torch

"Holy pile of memory leaks, Batman! Why this issue is marked as 'solved' ?!?!"

Seriously, guys: remove that ridiculous "solved" tag on the first post, we all know that the bug still persists.

thanks.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
hababut
My Device: Superberry

While working on a fix for this issue, additional causes were discovered and we are actively hammering away on a solution. Thanks for keeping this thread with symptoms alive, it was very helpful. 

In the meantime, I've asked one of the forum mods to remove the "solved" tag. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I kode for cudos! Or was it the other way around?
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Saeger
My Device: 9300 Curve

[ Edited ]

Hello.
I have the same problem. Low memory when i use the application for a few minutes...
Last build on my blackberry 9300, last SDK too (2.0, since 2.1 isn't working anymore for smartphone, am i right?)
I'm still waiting for the solutions from RIM.

Edit:

Question: If i open and close pages into an iframe, will this problem still ?

Márcio Saeger - Software Engineer, Softwell Solutions
Please use plain text.
New Developer
New Developer
GH
My Device: Not Specified

We have discussed with RIM and they have confirmed the WebWork memory leak issue is still existing on both OS6 and even OS7 smartphone OS.  That's mean we are not going to have a fix in a short terms. They have released a version to fix it but actually it is not working. Therefore, still fail.

We have tried to use a different method to do our coding but using a concept of Master Page, having all the javascript placed on 1 Master Page and then call in a HTML page into a DIV within the Master page.  We found that we didn't see the Memory Leak issue happen. 

BUT, RIM did not confirm whether this is the "Solution". Just saying this is a good way to do the coding.   To my point of view, this way will really reduce the memory adding up... ie, will able extend the time for the memory leak issue appear on your app only.  

Conclusion is.... You either gamble to use the Master Page concept .... which might waste your production effort "Again" or You just wait until whenever RIM provide a Real Fix.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
leocrawf
My Device: bolt2

I hope this is placed in the "Tips,Querks and Solutions"  thread. This needs to be standard knowledge before a developer start doing any development on any project.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
New Developer
GH
My Device: Not Specified

You are right. Unfortunetly we do not get the full confirmation from RIM therefore, it is still a test. 

We have tested our app using one of the page, and we are back and forth with the page around 80+ times and still not getting the Memory Leak warning. We are hoping it is really the "temperary" solution.

Please use plain text.
Retired
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Hi everyone,

We've been finding that there can be issues when a JavaScript extension keeps a handle to the BrowserField2 object. When the page context change happens JavaScript extensions are re-created and inserted into the JavaScript engine.  It appears that when this is happening the old instance of the JavaScript extension is not being released from memory.

This is what's giving the symptom of memory drain with multiple URL changes in the application as well as close/re-opens.  The good news is that the issue looks like it's solveable in the WebWorks framework itself without the need of an OS upgrade.  We have been able to reproduce the issue and also provide an architecture for JavaScript extensions that no longer exhibit this problem.

For a while now we have been talking about migrating our JavaScript Extension architecture to the same one that we have evolved to on the PlayBook platform.  We are currently in the process of making this change on the Smartphone.  This new architecture does not have the memory drain that the old architecture does.

WebWorks will continue to support the old way of building JavaScript extensions but we will also be creating tutorials on how to create extensions in the new architecture.  This new architecture also has some side benefits of being able to share JavaScript extension code with PlayBook and Ripple emulation.

You may ask... "But I'm not using extensions in my app and I still see the drain".. Extensions are used under the sheets for multiple things like focus based navigation mode and caching.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.