Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Retired
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Device memory is Low issue for an WebWork app

You will still see the drain because PhoneGap is built on top of WebWorks and the problem still occurs in WebWorks

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Regular Contributor
Saeger
My Device: 9300 Curve

[ Edited ]

So, we'll still need the new WebWorks SDK ?

Edit: BTW, i tested and the result was: bb doesn't change pages.. must be something wrong with my code or dunno. Anyway, doesn't work. =\

Márcio Saeger - Software Engineer, Softwell Solutions
Retired
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Yes, you still will need a new WebWorks SDK... 

You will also need to make sure that you have the proper imports to be able to use the Weak References

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Regular Contributor
Saeger

OK Tim..

We'll wait for the WebWorks solution...

BTW, i used the only WeakReference import found by JDE:

java.lang.ref.WeakReference;

Cya!
Regular Contributor
Saeger

"UP"

Do we have any improvement on this? (Last talk about it was 2 weeks ago).
New Developer
New Developer
GH
My Device: Not Specified

IMPORTANT NEWS!!

This memory issue is due to WebWork SDK and caused by specific api and extension.  If you can avoid using those BUG API and extension, you will able to run the app in WebWork.

AND RIM is fixing the SDK right now but they might not able fix all the issue in the coming release. Therefore, you still have to avoid some of the API and Extensive

I will keep you guys updated if I got more news

Regular Contributor
Saeger

So GH,

Tel me which api we're talking about?

I use phonegap framework and some plugins made by me (persistence (sqlite) and network communication).

And all my application have lots of .html file which i swich depending on the action's used on them.

New Developer
New Developer
GH
My Device: Not Specified

We are trying to get the list of api / extensive which caused the memory leak from RIM at moment.  

If you are using phonegap, it properly have more problem at the end.  The only good news is that if RIM release the new SDK, it will able to fix the issue and no need to redo the coding agian.

When you are using phonegap, does it cause more problem? and btw, what is your comment after using phonegap? is phonegap any good?

Regular Contributor
Saeger

[ Edited ]

All my applications envolves phonegap.

Here the intro:

My company has an IDE called "Maker" (more info on http://www.softwell.com.br ).
We're now launching the product called "Maker Mobile" where you will be able to use the same IDE to develop for mobile devices.
Our ide, will generate the code of the aplication for all platforms that we work (until now it's iOS, Android and BlackBerry).
The reason why we use phonegap is to keep the same code for the three platforms. Until now, i just made few adjust's for the BB platform. So, phonegap is essential for our "framework", to avoid recode.
Since the beggining, the blackberry is the worse platform, because the app's keeps freezing, hanging because of the memory issue.
Without the memory leak issue, everything works like a charm! All css properties, html code, everything works very well.

We're currently in beta test and at the moment we had something like 100 clients using it and the final product we estimate 5000 clients in the first 6 month's.
Until now, we have more problems with BB client's complainig about the memory leak.
I think we'll need to put a "Beta" in the BB platform until the resolution of this problem...

Edit: Sorry about my poor english

Contributor
hababut
My Device: Superberry

We have resolved the memory leak issues in a few of the APIs related to weak references. We have a release candidate going through testing right now that will be released to the public shortly.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I kode for cudos! Or was it the other way around?