Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Retired
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Device memory is Low issue for an WebWork app

You will just need to update your WebWorks SDK... We have found a way to "trick" WebKit into letting go of memory where today it will hold onto it.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Regular Contributor
genvej
My Device: 9800

[ Edited ]

I really hope for an urgent fix. 2.1.1.38 has way more incidents than prior versions (at least in my apps)

I have an App (which actually is 2 apps) A traditional front end app and then a background app. My problem is that when the frontend app receives a low device memory error my background app closes. It will not be restarted until Blackberry restarts as it is a background app that start on startup.

Would a blackberry,invoke work for a 3rd party (my) background app? I would then make the frontend invoke the background app on every startup. I assume that invoke on an already started app would just result in nothing?

and what is the key for the app-invoke? The app name itself?

Retired
tneil

Can you list the issues that you have found in 2.1.1.. I want to make sure that if there were regressions that they are fixed in the next release.

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Regular Contributor
genvej
My Device: 9800

The problem is non consistent. However it seems to be closely related to navigation between pages. I have a hunch that this only happens when I use my hardware back button and its trapping methods, as I cant remember gettting the error when browsing via the menu. I cannot say with certanty that the pages are to blame as each of my body onload methods holds quite a lot of functionality such as IO too. Navigation is my main bet though (have in mind that I saw a lot less of this in the older webworks version). Additionally... I cannot reproduce this in OS5.

New Contributor
unimedisys
My Device: Bold 9000

I have same issue on OS5 with SDK 2.1.1., navigating between multiple pages containing database connection each it crashes after about 12 times location.href change. I request your fix include OS 5

Regular Contributor
Saeger
My Device: 9300 Curve

I don't have this problem on the OS 5. Only 6+.

We're all waiting for this fix.

Márcio Saeger - Software Engineer, Softwell Solutions
Contributor
bbooks
My Device: curve

I am only seeing problem in os6 not os5. Even if I create a simple app that displays static images it crashes after 4-6 restarts. I think rim should let people know that development with webworks should be abandoned until this is fixed. Don't get me wrong I like webworks, but until this is fixed developing with it is limited to testing concepts etc. but no apps can be released. I wish I had known about it before I wasted a couple of weeks development on a project that can't be released. I find it hard to believe that the os 6 has been out so long and this problem is only now popping up and worst yet no fix. That gives me little hope that a fix will come anytime soon!

Please fix soon.

Retired
tneil

The fix is coming in a couple of weeks.  The issue why we are seeing this come up now and not in the past is that developers are now starting to transition to supporting BB6 devices where the prior focus was on BB5 devices.

This is a webkit <-> Java IPC memory issue which is why it was not seen on BB5.  We have resolved the memory issues, it is in testing and will be released shortly.

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
New Contributor
s0ckz
My Device: 9300 curve

Is there any way to release a beta test for us?

Retired
tneil

We are in the middle of integrating a bunch of different changes and releasing a beta with the memory fix from our branch of code would break other areas of functionality.  So you would get a memory fix but non-functional code elsewhere.

We have the code out in beta with a select few partners who do not require some of the areas that were disabled for proof of concept and are having their hands held through the process with their Developer Alliance partners.  There are multiple steps involved in the early beta patch.

So in short.. there really isn't a way to be able to get a copy of the fixes before we release it.  The time it would take us to put together a package for a beta is the same as actually releasing the full version.

We are working on getting v2.2 out to the public as fast as humanly possible.  I understand that everyone wants the fixes available yesterday.   The memory fixes have been our number one priority and we have found a way to work around the memory issues without the need of an OS upgrade.

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter