Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
kiranmobile
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Device memory is Low issue for an WebWork app

I downloaded the Pre-Release version 2.2 after uninstalling the original webworks sdk install. It seems like the webworks pre-install has same folder name as previous version. I don't see a version number on the installed folder. How can I tell which version of webworks sdk I am running?

I am using Torch 9800 OS 6 bundle 2647 (AT&T), the out of memory occurs when I zoom in a few times and pan around the map a few times. Also noticed if I change the location of map and zoom in, there are higher chances of memory error occuring.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
kiranmobile

Hi Tim...any updates?

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

I believe you can get the version number by simply calling "bbwp" without any parameters...

As far as memory.. I'm pretty sure you're not running into a leak.. I believe you are runnning into an out of memory because of the zooming in/out of large images with google maps api... 

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
New Developer
kiranmobile

Ok I understand, Is there some way I can free up memory from within the app using Webworks SDK, something akin to System.gc() in Java? I am encountering out of memory just by zooming in and out a few times which is cause for concern.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mysudbury
My Device: Torch9800
My Carrier: Bell

I am having the exact same problem as kiranmobile, on the same device.  I just installed the pre-release fix and have had no difference with my problem.

I am using a Blackberry Torch 9800 with OS6.  Everything on my app works fine except for one section where I use a Google Map to display 10 markers on a map.  It loads fine, but as soon as I zoom in 5-6 times, the low memory error occurs.  Sometimes the app closes automatically at that point, and sometimes it lets me return to my app (only to close after another few zooms).  I am zooming extremely slowly (waiting for the map to focus before continuing).  I have another BB app with much larger images and have no problems with it. 

I am using Javascript and Phonegap to write my code...  I can use the same code successfully on all iPhone and Android devices without memory problems...  

I have already waited a month because of this error and my client cannot extend their deadline any more...  I can't believe how many hours that I've spent debugging my blackberry app! Others are still having the same problem as me... I would really appreciate a quick fix for this issue.  

Please use plain text.
New Developer
kiranmobile

I agree I am using the same code on Playbook and it works fine. On a BB phone after a few zooms I first get an the out of memory error message and later it shuts down giving me another message. Surely something is not right, since the same code is working on all other platforms including web browser, playbook etc.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
kiranmobile

In fact even the sample Google Maps app for Blackberry that's available on the web has the same behavior on my Torch 9800, I get an out of memory error after a few zooms and pan

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Do you see the same behaviour in the browser, or just in a webworks app?
Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
Contributor
bbooks
My Device: curve
My Carrier: candw

I encountered the same problem with Google maps in webworks (os6 on 9700). So I set the link to invoke browser with map code and it works in the browser no problem. But in webworks it gives memory low error. I have also noticed that if I load a page in webworks with a number of images and I scroll the page up and down the amount of memory used by the app increases, and if done enough times ( more that would be reasonable usage in a normal application) it can cause the low memory error. The memory is eventually released if something is clicked or page is changed. Hope this could help fix the problem.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mysudbury
My Device: Torch9800
My Carrier: Bell

I do not have this problem in the browser or in the 9800 simulator.

Please use plain text.