Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Regular Contributor
My Device: 9300 Curve
My Carrier: TIM

Re: Device memory is Low issue for an WebWork app

What is this, inawire? This is the SDK v2.2 that we're waiting for that fixes the memory leak ?

Márcio Saeger - Software Engineer, Softwell Solutions
Highlighted
Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

v2.2 with the memory fixes was released on Tuesday and is available for download

http://developer.blackberry.com/html5/download/sdk

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Visitor
My Device: Bold
My Carrier: ATT

Has there been any movement on the mysudbury issue? I have an app that has somewhat similar functionality (map drawn with html5 canvas, loads in new images on zooms) that is also experiencing a out of memory issues.  

Contributor
My Device: Torch9800
My Carrier: Bell

Hi crabcakes,

I am still having the memory problems and I have not been able to find a solution (been working on this for weeks).  

Please post in this forum if you are able to find a solution.  This thread comes up at the top in Google Search and so I'm sure that many other people with the same problems are being led to this thread.

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: developer

I am still seeing the low memory problem similar to mysudbury.  Am using the new SDK2.2 and am running Torch9800 with latest OS -- 600.  It is far better than it was when we were using 2.1, but if navigate around in the app for a few minutes it will still have the problem (versus previously was a few seconds).  Problem comes up sooner if go to a map screen, similar to mysudbury. 

Same app runs fine on Android, iPhone, and in browsers.

Thanks much for your ongoing assistance with this.  Our app has been stuck on this problem for a couple months now.

Retired

If you are using a very memory intesive JavaScript toolkit or loading in lots of images into your application, it is possible that you hit the upper limit of memory available for your application.

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: developer

Tim - We are using Sencha Touch, which is probably rather memory intensive, however, that app runs without any memory problems on both Android and iPhone, which indicates either a Blackberry memory problem or at least something Blackberry dependent in our code.

We download a lot of image icons, but we have tried running it without any theicons and it does not seem to make much difference.

I have been watching the memory usage in the Blackberry memory tool (Options>Device>Application Management>Memory).  I noticed that the app was normally using about 1MB, but it would show up to 5, 7, 10, 15MBs of usage when I first switched from the app to the Memory screen and then after a 3-10 seconds the loading/pause animation (garbage collection?) would show and then the usage would drop back down to 1MB. 

This same pattern would repeat for the app memory usage, always dropping back down to 1MB, but the overall used memory and System memory usage crept up over time and eventually there would be low memory messages and the app was forced to close.  Without the app running the System usage was 181MB and total used was 200MB.  When the app started these immediately increased to 211 and 232 respectively, then gradually moved up to 250 and 275 before the low memory situation occurred and the app was forced to close. 

As I noted, we are using Sencha Touch and their MVC architecture, so are using Ajax for our queries.  The app memory bumps from 1MB to 5 or 15MB seemed to be associated with screen changes involving getting new lists of merchant info that we display, and also when bringing up a google map.  It did not seem to happen in moving from one tab panel to another. 

We'll greatly appreciate any ideas or suggestions you have.

Thanks

Keith Levi

Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

I'm also seeing this on a 9700 OS6.0.

My app isn't very data intensive, and uses a single, static image. I include JQuery-min and a JSON library, along with my own small javascript utility file. 

After a few AJAX calls to update the screens (there are only two different screens, each requiring an AJAX call on load), I get the low memory, close applications message. 

I'm running WebWorks SDK 2.2 (why does ripple still say 2.0.0.0?).

Any thoughts? If I disable the cache, will that help? 

I can't release a product that throws memory warning so easily. 

Retired

Hi shnuffy,

The 9700 running OS6.0 has VERY, VERY little available memory for running applications.  You are simply running out of usable memory on the device set aside for WebKit.  JQquery is a very large JS toolkit that once parsed will be using up a lot of memory.  

Are you using jQuery simply to do the AJAX calls?  Have you tried going directly using XMLHttpRequest?

Yes.. Ripple should be updated to show WebWorks 2.2.

Disabling cache shouldn't affect your application.. you are running out of physical memory and not storage space.

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

I am using JQuery just for AJAX calls at the moment. I'll switch to XHR requests and see if that helps. Or maybe one of those very small JQuery-like subsets like Zepto.js.

Thanks again Tim.