Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Retired
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Device memory is Low issue for an WebWork app

I've added some follow up questions in the other thread.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mannymisc
My Device: 9300

Tim,

This error might not be restricted to apps that are manipulating large images or data. A phonegap 1.4.1 app built with Webworks 2.3 crashes - even the sample phonegap app does (after about 20 times). Our app crashes if you rapidly open it and close it for about - 

4 times on Webworks 2.1

7 times on Webworks 2.3

Phonegap sample app crashes with about 20 attempts. 

We are using a Curve 9300 with OS 6.0.0.526. We have about 5 js files (all local) that are loaded during launch. Could this cause an issue ?

Manny 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mysudbury
My Device: Torch9800

The CEO of the company for which I have developed my app has refused to publicly launch the app (Even on iPhone/Android) until I am able to resolve Blackberry issues. 

The goal of the app is to assist the user in locating certain landmarks in our city.  This is currently accomplished on all other devices using Google Maps to display 10 markers (the landmarks) and then one custom marker which is moved through geolocation to show the user's current position in relation to the 10 landmarks.  The entire app is useless without a map...

My current code actually works on Blackberry until I try to zoom in/out, which is when the app closes due to the increased memory usage.  I understand that Blackberry does not support Google Maps because it is too memory-intensive (low memory error closes the app).  So what are my other options for including a map in my app if I am using PhoneGap?  Can that be accomplished with Blackberry Maps?  

Thanks

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mttplm
My Device: Torch

Use http://www.map4app.com/

Same (I mean: exactly the same) syntax of Google Maps. Works perfectly on BlackBerry devices.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mysudbury

I looked into it before and wondered whether it would cause the same low memory error as Google Maps API does or not...  I can see that it works perfect in the browser on Blackberry, but the memory allocated to apps is much lower than the browser :smileyfrustrated:  

Can you confirm that you were able to get a basic map working in an app (not just in Blackberry browser) without memory crashes on OS6 devices like the Blackberry 9800?  If yes then you have just solved many Blackberry developer's problems!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mysudbury

I just noticed that they offer a free trial - awesome!  I will test it and update in this thread :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mysudbury

Do you know how much it costs?  Our project is already over-budget because it took so long to develop for Blackberry :smileyfrustrated:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mysudbury

I still got an out of memory error and app close after around 20 zooms/pans on my device.  The map4app API is pretty cool though...  Might be worth a try on newer devices with decent memory allocation to WebWorks apps. 

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
kwallis
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Hello everyone.  Just wanted to let everyone know about a recent Community API contribution that has gone live in our GitHub repo:

https://github.com/blackberry/WebWorks-Community-APIs/tree/master/Smartphone/LocationPicker

If your main use case is to display a map and retrieve a selected location, this API is for you.  It will invoke the BlackBerry Maps application and auto-select the devices current location by default.  The user can select a different location, and this will be returned to your WebWorks app.

Please give it a try and let us know how it works.

Thanks!

Ken Wallis - Senior Product Manager, WebWorks and Android Runtime
@ken_wallis
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
chrisbevan
My Device: developer

Hi

Did you ever resolve this issue?

I have exactly the same problem and I can't seem to find a solution to it anywhere. I'm not even sure if it is my code or webworks that is leaking. Any ideas?

Chris

Please use plain text.