Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Regular Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: RIM

Re: Device memory is Low issue for an WebWork app

For those who are suffering problems with memory, and are using focus based navigation, try disabling it.

FBN leaks like a sieve even in WW 2.3.

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: developer

kwallis - Thanks for the pointer.  I have been away for a couple months and was not aware the 2.3 version was released.  I'll give it a try.

Thanks

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

I just built my app with SDK 2.3, certainly seems better than the older version. The hourglass is gone, it's more seamless. It still does give a out of memory error after a while. Here is the notes from 2.3 release:

>>>>>>

How will your memory be managed better?

In BlackBerry WebWorks for Smartphones SDK v2.2, we introduced a “memory maid” that handled cleaning up after some memory leaks related to callbacks being held by the native Java® layer. The maid would, under certain conditions, trigger a Java garbage collection. In this version, we are fine-tuning the logic the memory maid uses in order to make this process less intrusive to the end user and will result in fewer hourglasses, especially the fairly prevalent one that happens immediately on load of some applications.
>>>>>>

New Developer
My Device: 9300
My Carrier: BB

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem. I just built my app with SDK 2.3 and using focus based navigation, but It still does give a out of memory error after a while.

When will BlackBerry solution to the problem.

We need solution yet

Please help us quickly

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: AT&T

Hello all.

@kiranmobile, @rperez, how is your application architected?  Do you have multiple pages that you navigate through?  Do you use divs that are hidden and shown depending on user navigation requests?  These approaches will lead to leaks and can result in low memory errors.

We recommend an approach of loading new pages off-DOM using Ajax, and then switching the content.  This is very quick and provides a much better environment for memory use.  I am currently trying to get a "tutorial" type blog post on this together...

Ken Wallis - Senior Product Manager, WebWorks and Android Runtime
@ken_wallis
New Developer
My Device: 9300
My Carrier: BB

My architecture makes visibles the div via ajax load and uses services restfull and the error persists...
Regular Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: RIM

Mine is a one page application, loading content via ajax, and I also experience memory problems with FBN 

New Developer

Mine is a 2 page application. I use Async calls for rendering the Maps page. I don't hide/unhide DIV's

New Developer

I will consider converting it to a one page app. However I will need to hide/unhide DIV's in that case

Developer

[ Edited ]

I would say that the problem might not be the SDK but the webworks architecture on the smartphones. Even on OS 7 and a 1.2 ghz processor the javascript processing is slow especially when it comes to manipulating graphical content.