Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
jason_rogers
My Device: curve 9300

Disable Reader mode

Hi All 

I've recently updated the playbook I have to the latest (2.0.0.7971) and since then I've been having a problem with a web feature. 

For some reason when I rotate the device to hold it like a vertically, the web broswer automatically launches the Reader Mode view. 

Since I'm working on a web applicaiton that uses sencha touch to display a nice interface, I do not have/want this. 

I would like it to have the old behaviour : when I rotate the device it triggers an "on rotate: event and I change the layout. 

How can I fix this ? 

Cheers

Jason

Retired
astanley
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Disable Reader mode

Hi Jason,

Reader mode should only be opened when  tapping on the 'book' icon at the top left of the Nav bar.

What you've described really seems like strange behavior.  Can you try clearing all of the browser cache settings?  If this is some config that is getting persisted, I want to know so it can be fixed.

Cheers,

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.
New Contributor
jason_rogers
My Device: curve 9300

Hi astanley

the behavior I now get is 

when I rotate the device from RIMTable portraite (e.i like this: = ) to landscape (e.i like this: ||) the reader mode gets triggered but nothing display in the reader mode so I see the normal page.

However I know that it is in reader mode because instead of the arrow <, the book, and the title, I get a "x close" in the top bar.

I would like to get to the bottom of this because something is triggering this and I can't have this happening on my customers playbooks :smileywink:

Cheers

Jason

New Developer
ChristoDeluxe
My Device: Not Yet

Hi,

Did you ever find a solution for this?  I see this too in a jQuery Mobile-based web application.  Running the latest Playbook OS 2.01.358.

The data lends itself to portrait-mode viewing, and on any screen of my web app, if the user rotates the browser, it goes into Reader Mode, and worse it usually just says that Reader mode doesn't work on a full white screen, and I have to touch "Close" to see the content.  Sometimes, the reader mode only appears at the top of the content with a Close button, but it doesn't hide most of the screen.

Either way, this reader mode should not just invoke on all content because the user rotated the device.  I'm being very careful not to touch the screen as I rotate, so it's not an accidental touch.

New Developer
ChristoDeluxe
My Device: Not Yet

[ Edited ]

Even worse, I have two PlayBook devices both running the 2.0.1.358 software, but only one of the two has this issue where reader mode activates automatically on roation to portrait.

The other device doesn't do this.  Reader mode is available using the open-book button, but it never activates automatically.  I don't see any settings in the Browser's settings or the device's settings to control this.

Note that this happens on any web page, even just google.com and doesn't seem to have anything to do with my web app.

Retired
astanley
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

I don't have an update, sorry.  I'm unable to reproduce this myself on multiple PlayBook tablets.

However I have escalted to the browser development team for their feedback and will post any here when I learn of more info.

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.