Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Disable browser zooming in Blackberry Bold (9000)

Hi,

I am currently developing a webpage through the Blackberry Bold and was wondering if it was possible to disable zooming in and out of the browser through coding in Classic ASP. It really messes up the alignment of the page itself. If this cannot be done then is there any way to do this through coding at all.

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Disable browser zooming in Blackberry Bold (9000)

I'm not aware of any way to directly disable zooming, but you can use the HandheldFriendly meta tag to instruct the browser that your page is designed for a mobile device. You can also set the Viewport size the browser uses to render pages in page mode.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=browser_dev&message.id=1315#M1315

New Developer

Thanks for the reply jwargo I am aware of that code but I thought maybe we could disable the zooming feature in the browser.

Thanks anyways.

New Developer

[ Edited ]
Sorry for double posting but I just noticed something. If you access facebook.com from the Blackberry Bold, if you move the cursor aroudn the screen, the zoom cursor never appears. So this means it is possible to disable the zoom feature (well actually you can still zoom if you click menu->zoom) . But anyways any ideas on how they did it?
Message Edited by prog_enthusiast on 04-06-2009 11:04 AM
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

They aren't using the handheldfriendly meta tag and you can still switch between page and column view (by hitting the Z key). Perhaps it works because the content is so small (narrow) that the browser knows it doesn't need to offer zooming capabilities.  If you design the page for the small screen, then there shouldn't be any need for page view.