Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8530

Does WebWorks work with OS 5?

Hi,

I am new to making apps, and am new to programming in general. I am wondering how can I make an app that works with OS5, 6 and 7 with WebWorks, can I use HTML 5, or do I use HTML 4? I can't find anything about HTML 4 and WebWorks, so I am lost about how to do this. Must I use Java instead of WebWorks to do this? Also, what languages will I need to learn to be able to make an app with WebWorks?

Contributor
My Device: Developer

Re: Does WebWorks work with OS 5?

Hi, what kind of application do you want to do? For example, you should use html4 if you want to do your application OS5 compatible. It is because of the rendering engine of the browser, You can add some simple effects, but not as much as in html5 (in OS6 and OS7) although some effects you can find in some JS Frameworks (for example Dojo mobile or jquery mobile) are sluggish.

WebWorks is used to do web-based applications (you need to learn HTML, CSS and JavaScript).

If you want to check it out some examples go here: https://github.com/blackberry/WebWorks-Samples/tree/master/UIExamples Read the "How to build" section on that page to see some examples of applications made with webworks.

Retired
My Device: Bold

Hi blue_k,

Its important to remember that the term HTML5 is largely marketting. It is in no way a complete spec and won't be for some time.

Ultimately the answer, as devoldmx implies really depends on what you want to do. Some HTML5 features have been backported to 5.0 (HTML5 datastorage, HTML5 WebWorkers and XHR reqestst). Some things that have been yet to be standardized are also there in the form of webworks APIs (PIM, Contacts, Camera, etc.)

For the most part, webworks apps can be made to be compatible from 5.0-playbook, but you will always see increasing performance and capabilities in newer OSes.

1.Please resolve your thread by clicking the "Accept as Solution" button below the post which solved your problem!
2. If any post helps you please click the button below the post(s)
Contributor
My Device: torch 9800

Is giving me errors in versions less than SO 6.0.0.448

Have been run in previous versions without errors? How?

You can read this post:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Web-and-WebWorks-Development/URGENT-PROBLEM-DEVICE-BOLD-9780-...

Developer
My Device: BlaclBerry PlayBook 16gb, BlackBerry dev alpha

use ripple emmulator extension for google chrome :Rockon:

Contributor

In the standard emulators no errorsneither in ripple (chrome). Only real mobile.

Developer

reset your device and then test

New Developer
My Device: BB 9000

I'm pretty sure OS 5 can't handle AJAX call. But work fine if you want your apps to load everytimes AJAX trigger.

Developer

Thanx herriyanto for your helpful suggetion
Contributor

Could you give me more details or differences do you mean by trigger Ajax?