Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Trusted Contributor
sabanim
My Device: Curve 9330

Email scam with BB name on it.

[ Edited ]

OK I know bb forums are all about business but..... I just recieved this email so I can only conlude they my email from here or stackoverflow.  For I only use this email for blackberry and android programming.   Unless they lucky on spam.  It made me laugh.

so this is what I got.

BLACKBERRY ONLINE EMAIL PROMOTION <removed>

NB: In regards to the Raffle Draw on 28th of July 2011, BLACKBERRY
PROMOTION.(UK)BOARD!

This is to inform you that you have won a prize money of $350,000.00 (Three Hundred And Fifty Thousand United States Dollars) from the BLACKBERRY ONLINE EMAIL PROMOTION (UK CENTER). All e-mail addresses was selected worldwide, that are active online this 2011. Among the
millions that subscribed to MICROSOFT, HOTMAIL, YAHOO, GMAIL Companies domains and few from other e-mail providers. Twelve (12) people are selected yearly to benefit from this e-mail Promotion and your e-mail is one of the Selected e-mail Winner to benefit from this promotion.
Your Email ID has therefore been approved to claim a total sum of $350,000.00USDollars.

Contact the head of events Mr. G W for documentation and record
purposes with your (1)Name: (2)Address: (3)Occupation: (4)Tel:
(5)Sex: (6)Age: (7)Country:

Mr.G W    Contact Email: <removed>   Tel:
<removed>

Thanks,

Coordinator,
The BlackBerry Promo Team,
Mrs. E M.

EDIT: Personal Information such as e-mail is prohibited for your security. Please review User Guidelines  under section "Be careful."

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,957
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Email scam with BB name on it.

Believe me, that email is certainly not from this forum.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Developer
interfaSys
My Device: Z10, Q10, 9900, 9790, PlayBook,

Could be that they got the address from yesterday's hack of one of RIM's blog. Would be interesting to see if more people are affected.

--
Olivier - interfaSys ltd
Developing for BlackBerry 10 devices using the Sencha Touch framework.
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,957
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

interfaSys wrote:

Could be that they got the address from yesterday's hack of one of RIM's blog. Would be interesting to see if more people are affected.

I find that highly doubtful that the first thing a hacker would do, when threatening RIM and it's employees is to think "oh hey, think I'll sell this list to a spammer real quickly in between making threats and carrying on riots across Great Britain."

And, get the actual spam email sent out at the same time. Just doubtful.

Ignore it. It's not from this forum.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
jessejames22
My Device: Blackberry Storm

hey!

I also recently recieved a text to my wireless broadband. It said that I had won 550,000 GPB as part of a BB UK Promo held this year but I don't remember entering such a thing, especially since I am in AUSTRALIA, I wouldn't think I'd be legible to enter too.

Have you been able to follow up on this matter?

I tried emailing RIM but they recieved an automatic rejection email stating to post the problem elsewhere such a forum... 

So I tried calling, but the offices are closed at the moment.

What makes the email seem more dodgy is that even though there is a message from co-CEO Jim Balsillie, the email it was sent from is a Dr Steve Mark with the email liveclaim@katamail.com. I checked the domain, and it's Italian!

Please use plain text.