Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
shahgidog
My Device: Playbook developer
My Carrier: N/a
Accepted Solution

Embedded flash/html5 video issue

Hi,

wondering if anyone can help. 

1 - is it possible to play html5 video without OS 2 controls showing next to clock (i know i can hide controls on player in app  itself)

2 - when playing flash video from a remote address (eg youtube) playbook stays on, if i embed swf file locally playbook turns off (backlight & standby) even if video playing. Is it possible to keep playbook on when playing local swf files?

hope that makes sense, thanks for any and all help... been faffing around for days.

gwil

Please use plain text.
Developer
Developer
LBP
My Device: PlayBook 16GB, BB10 LE Z10 (red)
My Carrier: none

Re: Embedded flash/html5 video issue

Do not know which device/OS version you referring to but for PB or BB10 to answer the 1st question: Right now it seems we will see the same functionality to bring up controls in the bar next to the clock on both, PB and BB10. Maybe that the one OS, PB, inspires the other, BB10? I also think the API for HTML5 media should follow the devs implementation, so if you set the

HTML5MediaObject.controls = false;

it should also hide the controls in the top bar next to the clock. I think it would be a good point to file a feature request to the repo for PlayBook or for BB10.

2nd) Mmmh, never worked with flash on mobile and I can not expect the day flash for video/audio is kicked out of the mobile OSs since HTML5 media is already there. On the other hand it sounds like a bug to me. Perhaps you should also file a report to the PB framework?

"Like" if you liked the post.
"Accept as Solution" if the post solves your question.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
shahgidog

Thanks for respose. Sorry, I'm running on a pb with os 2.0.1.668, but looking to bb10.

Have tried as you suggest, setting controls to false, so will try feature request.

Am with you on flash, but need the video.without the controls by clock, and flash doesn't have them. Have found work around tho - if i wrap the flv in a swf it works fine.

May try embedding video with <object> tag rather than <video>, will report back...

Thanks again.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Developer
LBP

Have you ever tried to use <object> tag inside the <video> tag? A browser not understanding the <video> tag may automaticaly fall back to the <object> tag. Try an example like on the Video for Everybody website.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
shahgidog

I haven't tried the putting object in video tag, when i used object only i get same video controls next to clock as with video tag.

Unless i can figure something nicer out, i'll continue converting to flv and wrapping in swf. Bit of a hack but it works :Whistling:

Will have another look at site you suggested tho, but on first glance controls still showing.

Cheers.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Developer
LBP

I think the controls next to the clock are a design decision in the OSs at this time. So if you have a lot of apps running and want to stop playback you can do that right from the controls next to the clock. If you are familiar with other mobile OSs you may have seen on the one or other too. I think what we need is to request for an API/option on github repo to set controls visible/hidden next to the clock area.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
PhaniKiranG
My Device: bb10
My Carrier: Idea

Hi All,

Am new to black berry environment.

am developing mobile web application with the sencha touch frame work.

in my application i have used youtube html5 video player to pally the youtube videos.

in all the environments it works fine. but in black berry bb10. first device player is getting opened and you tube html5 player is also working.

i want to avoid device player opening..

Can any body help me to solve this issue.

Thanks in Advance.

Please use plain text.