Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
giridhar_bhandekar
My Device: 9000
Accepted Solution

Error: Application <module name> Attempts to Access a Secure API

Hi there,

I created and deployed successfully an small application on a BB using BB Desktop Manager, after having received my first ever signing keys and registering them on my PC. The app. contained just buttons accessing a couple of BB API functions.

Now I've created another application containing 2 pages. First htm page displays an image in the background with a button over it, which navigates to the next htm page, containing just a background img. When viewed in simulator works beautifully. But when deployed and ran in BB device gives the error mentioned in the subject.

First, I created app with out referring to any BB APIs (I mean, with no <feature> tag ). Also worked fine in simulator. Next created with a reference to "blackberry.identitiy" feature in config file (though not using it anywhere in the program). Now also works well in simulator but results in the same error in BB.

I've gone through the google searches. All point out to signing keys. Curious to know, can't a PC with signature keys registered, be used to develop more than one app. I am sure answer is yes... then why is the problem ? 

Can anybody help me fast resolve this issue. Do I need to ask for a new set of signature keys ?

Contributor
giridhar_bhandekar

Re: Error: Application <module name> Attempts to Access a Secure API

Could anyone please expedite your suggestions/solutions. Awaiting eagerly to resolve the problem.

Contributor
diablo
My Device: 0000

hi.

i think you need to sign (and build) every application you develop.

best regards.

Retired
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

You will need to obtain some RIM code signing keys.  They cost $20 and you can sign as many applications as you like about a bazillion times :smileyhappy:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/developers/javaappdev/codekeys.jsp

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Contributor
giridhar_bhandekar

Thanks for the reply Tim. I hope you have read my 2nd line that "after having received my first ever signing keys and registering them on my PC", only I've been able to successfully deploy an application on a Blackberry mobile.

I am trying to do a second one and receiving this error. I am sure tha I do not need to purchase Keys every time I need to compile a new application. Could you kindly re-read my query and not go by the subject and give me a resolution.

Just FYI I am using VS2008 with BB plug-in version 2.0 and using the "install signature key" submenu from tools of VS2008 and "Build All" to compile my application.

Would appreciate if you reply at the earliest.

Regards,

Giridhar.

Retired
tneil

Sorry about that... I misread your original post.

So I'd like to confirm a few things.

When you are building this new application for use on a physical device you are using the Release and Sign build configuration in Visual Studio, it is asking for your signing key password and when you enter your password and press OK it is launching the signing tool and you see that all the required signature keys are successfully applied.. correct?

One thing I have done in the past is that I did another debug build after this process and it overwrites the cod files with the unsigned build.

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Contributor
giridhar_bhandekar

Now you got me correct.

Yeah I too thought the same but feared about overwriting the original registration process. Not sure about the cod files getting overwritten due to this Build all feature.

Shall do the Build all and say overright for the original registration and share the results. Hope that works.

But would still like to know why there is a need to rebuild and re-follow the process, in a PC, when signed keys are registered successfully and applied.

Retired
tneil

I'm not suggesting to re-register your keys...

Which "Build all" feature are you referring to and how does it interact with the registration of keys?

We have a specific Build configuration that is selected for a widget that does signing.  Once you have registered your keys once you do not need to re-register them.

Each time you want to do a build that will be released to a device you need to set your Build configuration to Release and Sign.

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Contributor
giridhar_bhandekar

Thanks Tim,

I was clicking on Build in VS2008 and selecting "Batch Build" then selected Debug, Release and Release Signed, each, under cofiguration field and checked the box under "Build" field, for each of the project instace shown in this "Batch Build" pop-up.

Was under impression that it would first Debug, then Release and then finally "Release Signed".

However, after your reply, went to the "Configuration Manager" of the "Build" menu and set the "Active solution configuration" to "Release Signed" and even under "configuration" field of the list below as well along with the check box of "Build" field checked.

It then asked for the password which I gave during my key registration, once more. It then built the application. Also received 3 msgs about "Successful Code Signing Request". Followed the process to deploy. It was successful deployment and app working fine now.

Thanks for your guidance...

Cheers,

Giridhar.