Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
danjarvis
My Device: Lots

Error packaging and signing BlackBerry WebWorks SDK application for Playbook

I've been trying to follow the BlackBerry docs on signing a WebWorks SDK application on the command line and uploading to App World.  

Here is a chart showing the high level picture, and here are the detailed instructions I am trying to follow.

I ran the first few steps successfully:

C:\MyDir>blackberry-signer -csksetup -cskpass <mypwd>
CSK file created.

C:\MyDir>blackberry-signer -register -csjpin <mypin> -cskpass <mypwd> client-RDK-<snip>.csj
Successfully registered with server.

C:\MyDir>blackberry-keytool -genkeypair -keystore sigtool.p12 -storepass <mypwd> -dname "cn=<My Company>" -alias author
<No output!>

The instructions now say I need to package my BAR file.  It links to another web page that says to run a command like this:

blackberry-airpackager -package output_filename project_name-app.xml project_name.swf any_other_project_files

Although that sounds like it applies to an AIR application instead of a WebWorks SDK one I try it anyway, and I get an error:

C:\MyDir>blackberry-airpackager -package output\MyApp.bar config.xml input
C:\MyDir\config.xml: error 102: Invalid namespace http://www.w3.org/ns/widgets
Error: AIR validation failed

I then see if either of the `blackberry-packager` or `blackberry-nativepackager` commands is the right one.  Running `blackberry-nativepackager` yields this error `Error: not qnx tag or two many`, and the usage of `blackberry-packager` seems to be inappropriate, e.g.

Usage:
      blackberry-packager -generatemanifest [<manifest-file>]
      blackberry-packager -verifymanifest <manifest-file>
      blackberry-packager -metafolder <META-INF folder> [-javafolder <java-folder>] [-datafolder <data-folder>] [-nativefolder <native-folder>] [-airfolder <air-folder>] [-nocompression] <barfile.bar> (<inputfile>)*

So, I now revert back to packaging as I originally did during my testing, i.e. I create a ZIP file and use `bbwp.exe`:

C:\MyDir>bbwp.exe "MyApp.zip" -o "output"
[INFO]                  Parsing command line options
<snip>
[INFO]                  Packaging the bar file
[INFO]                  Bar packaging complete
[INFO]                  WebWorks application packaging complete

That looks good so I move onto the final two steps, which are:

blackberry-signer -verbose -cskpass <mypwd> -keystore sigtool.p12 -storepass <mypwd> output\MyApp.bar RDK
blackberry-signer -keystore sigtool.p12 -storepass <mypwd> output\MyApp.bar author

Unfortunately the first of these steps fails:

C:\MyDir>blackberry-signer -verbose -cskpass <mypwd> -keystore sigtool.p12 -storepass <mypwd> output\MyApp.bar RDK
<snip>
42 43 65 30 58 31 19 36 79 22 50 64 71 12 38 4e
74 68 78 34
Connecting to url http://www.rim.net/Websigner/servlet/RDK-Waterloo
Sending properties to server...
Properties of response := [
Version = 1
Response = Signature Response
Confirm = null
Error = Code signing request failed because Application-Development-Mode in Manifest is present and is not set to [false].
]
barsigner error: server error: Code signing request failed because Application-Development-Mode in Manifest is present and is not set to [false].

That exact error is documented here, along with this explanation of it:

Code signing request failed because Application-Development-Mode in Manifest is present and is not set to false
Description
This message appears when you try to sign a .bar file that was packaged in Development mode. Possible solution
Repackage the .bar file. If you use blackberry-packager, or another command line tool, do not include the debug option in your command line.

Unfortunately that doesn't help me at all.  My understanding is that the config.xml file in the WebWorks SDK replaces the need for a MANIFEST.MF file.

Can anybody help me with this? 

I also e-mailed RIM support on 23rd Mar and 25th March and haven't got any response.  I thought I had signed my app successfully when I originally submitted on 22nd Mar, but then I got a confusing e-mail implying that maybe I hadn't, so I requested new keys and started again from scratch, as per this posting...  Thanks!

Developer
tags07
My Device: BB Style

Re: Error packaging and signing BlackBerry WebWorks SDK application for Playbook

I think you are trying to sign the Webworks app using the instructions of AIR application. Please note that the two instructions are different. Check this post for how to sign the Webworks app:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Web-Development/code-signing-problem-on-mac/m-p/833383#M10242

and the official link here:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/23977/Configure_signing_for_tablet_application...

New Contributor
danjarvis
My Device: Lots

Re: Error packaging and signing BlackBerry WebWorks SDK application for Playbook

Ok, that makes sense, thanks.

My confusion was because I followed the instructions you linked to originally without a problem, and then I got the e-mail below from RIM, which seemed to be telling me that I had failed to sign my app properly.  That's what sent me down the road of following the wrong instructions.  :-(

I replied to BlackBerry's e-mail below to ask if they were sure I hadn't signed it, and I received no reply for the last 5 days.  Sadly I then wasted more than a few hours getting new signing keys, hitting problems following the wrong instructions, and finally running the steps again that I had already done successfully once.  Sigh.

Success! You’ve completed the first step toward a free BlackBerry PlayBook tablet.

Your app submission has been successfully received by the team at BlackBerry App World, putting you on the road to qualify for the free BlackBerry PlayBook tablet offer. The BlackBerry App World team reviews each app based on the Vendor Guidelines Vendor Guidelines and we’ll notify you as soon as we have determined if your app qualifies for the free tablet offer. When your app is approved, you will receive an additional email notice requesting a shipping address for the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet.

If you receive notice that your app has not been accepted, don’t give up. You have the opportunity to modify and resubmit that app for approval before the close of this offer.

We will do our best to promptly review each application submission. However, we cannot guarantee a decision within a specific timeframe. 

Also, to make your app available for download, there is one additional step. Each app must be “signed” and resubmitted into BlackBerry App World; if you haven’t signed your application please review our blog post that contains the needed information to sign your application.  Please sign your application and resubmit to BlackBerry App World.  When resubmitting add “_signed” to the end of the bundle name and rest assured you will not lose your spot in the review queue.

We appreciate the time and effort you have put into developing an app for the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet. The opportunities are rich for developers targeting this innovative, professional-grade tablet that’s already generating tremendous interest among users. We’re pleased and excited to have your applications for our launch and look forward to shared success and a long relationship.

Happy coding!

The BlackBerry Developer Program Team

Developer
tags07
My Device: BB Style

Their emails are sometimes confusion..for example i didnt know if a similar email was for the latest app i signed or a previous version that was unsigned. When i looked at the History in the Vendor portal it made more sense. I recommend you check the Change Request History to figure what version its referring to.