Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
nunodonato
My Device: Curve 9360, Playbook, BB10 Dev Alpha
My Carrier: TMN

Error starting 'app name'-1, secure API thing

Hi all,

I have seen somewhat similar problems popup in the forums, but mine is somewhat different.

My app is unable to start for some users with the following message:

Error starting [appname]: Module [appname]-1 atemps to access a secure API.

The usual problem is a packaging problem or lack of signing keys. I did everything correctly, as many other users are installing it without issues. Apparently this happens in just a few models running OS 6.

Im also wondering what the -1 means (have also seen -2 sometimes). I'm using 2 community extentions, could the error be referring to the extensions and not the app itself. I think there might be a compatibility problem with a particular extension and some models.

Any ideas on how to go about this? If I remove the extension I will loose important functionality in the app... probably would be better just to remove OS 6 support, but that leaves many users out :smileysad:

Ideas?

Nuno
theBBthing.wordpress.com - my BlackBerry development blog: news, tips and tutorials
bitoutsidethebox.com - re-imagining digital solutions

Please use plain text.
Developer
kamal_nigam
My Device: Blackberry 10
My Carrier: Orange

Re: Error starting 'app name'-1, secure API thing

"atemps to access a secure AP" this error come due to signing key or you executable does not load into device properly

Thanks
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Press the Accept as solution Button when u got the Solution
Press Kudo to say thank to developer.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Please use plain text.
Developer
nunodonato

Hi Kamal,
Thanks for your reply, but that is not the problem.
Nuno
theBBthing.wordpress.com - my BlackBerry development blog: news, tips and tutorials

Please use plain text.
Developer
Developer
LBP
My Device: PlayBook 16GB, BB10 LE Z10 (red)
My Carrier: none

Hi nunodonato.

Have you seen this post discussing somehow the same issue I think: http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Web-and-WebWorks-Development/Signature-errors-and-quot-attemp...

"Like" if you liked the post.
"Accept as Solution" if the post solves your question.
Please use plain text.
Developer
nunodonato

Hi!

Thanks for the link, I took a look, but as I said, it is not related with signing.

Nuno

Please use plain text.
Developer
Developer
LBP
My Device: PlayBook 16GB, BB10 LE Z10 (red)
My Carrier: none

nunodonato wrote:

Hi!

Thanks for the link, I took a look, but as I said, it is not related with signing.

Seems you need someone from RIM to have a closer look at it. Hoepfully not all of them are on vacation at this time :smileywink: Sometimes very quiet here in the forum!

"Like" if you liked the post.
"Accept as Solution" if the post solves your question.
Please use plain text.
Developer
nunodonato

Yeah... I know ;(

Thanks!

Nuno

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
astanley
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

>> Error starting [appname]: Module [appname]-1 atemps to access a secure API.

BlackBerry apps on the Java platform are a collection of modules.  You may have noticed when you build an app, you get a long list of *.cod files in the OTAInstall directory?  Each of these can be a piece of the module.

I believe the "access a secure API" message is a red herring and does not actually indicate a failure in code signing.

I suspect the error you are seeing is related to your use of extensions and the version of the BlackBerry 6 software that the errors are reported on.  The Java code within an extension may be failing to run properly on those devices.  

Can you provide more specific info about:

1) What extensions are you using?

2) Which device models are the errors occuring on?

3) What version/bundle of the device software are the errors occuring on?

With that we should be able to track down what code may be causing these issues.

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.
Please use plain text.
Developer
nunodonato

Hi Adam, thanks for the reply.

So, I'm using the Location Picker(https://github.com/blackberry/WebWorks-Community-APIs/tree/master/Smartphone/LocationPicker) and Notification(https://github.com/blackberry/WebWorks-Community-APIs/tree/master/Smartphone/notification) extensions.

So far, I had 3 users reporting this kind of error. 2 of them running 9800 and one with 9700, both with OS6.

I disabled the usage of the location picker for users running OS6(tested inside the app while running), but the Notification extension presumably runs on OS6 (at least it says it as been tested on it, both with 9800 and 9700).

Nuno

Nuno

Please use plain text.
Developer
nunodonato

Adding some extra info:

If I test the app on a 9800 simulator I don't see the error message, but the app hangs with a black screen.

I downloaded the 9700 simulator (bundle 668), and it worked fine. One user reported the error running from the 9700 with AT&T 688, but I can't get that simulator version to try it out myself.

Nuno

Please use plain text.