Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
Iain
My Device: 8310

Formatting page controls for Blackberry Devices

Hi Guys,

I have been  trying to develop a website for blackberry devices and am having some problems with page formatting.

When I look at my website in a windows browser everything seems to look fine but as soon as I view the website in the Blackberry simulator all my page formatting is incorrect and my controls end up in the wrong place. Also when I publish my website on the web and look at it through my 8310 curve its is different again. Also when my boss looks at it with his 8310 it is different from mine.

Any ideas what might be causing this? Is there some documentation that covers this problem?

It is strange. I found someone's blog that describes that certain Css elements are not included in the blackberry browser. However my boss and I have changed the default browser of the blackberry to be Internet Explorer.

This problem is very frustrating as I have written and re-written my pages several times now to try and fix this problem and it is severely hindering development of my website.

I am developing the website using Visual Studio 2008.

Part of the problem is that I am not an expert web developer so I am perhaps missing part of the picture for developing web applications for mobile devices.

Please help

Regards,

Iain

Developer
iamtony
My Device: Bold 9000

Re: Formatting page controls for Blackberry Devices

Hi,

My best guess as to why it is displaying differently on the various phones is because of the BlackBerry Browser versioning.

The guides found at the link below will be able to tell you which elements are included and which aren't. You should probably run through your code and see if you have included one that is not supported.

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/subcategories/?userType=21&category=BlackBerry+Browser

Furthermore, there was a document I read that indicated which levels of HTML, CSS and JavaScript DOM was supported, but I can't seem to find it at the moment. If I come across it again, I'll come back and post it here.

Retired
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Formatting page controls for Blackberry Devices

Hi Iain,

iamtony is correct.  Each different OS version of the BlackBerry has a Browser with different capabilities.  It is like trying to support different early versions of IE, Firefox etc.

The guides in the link provided by iamtony will show what HTML, CSS, JavaScript is supported in each version of the BlackBerry OS.  Also, up until OS version 5.0, JavaScript was turned off in the browser by default.

There are also some good videos that may help you out:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/developers/resources/videolibrary.jsp#tab_tab_browser

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter