Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
yadavtarun03
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Getting information about camera in the invoking Widget

I'm using the BlackBerry Widget SDK and my app invokes the camera and once the user returns to the Widget, I'd like to show a preview of the image taken. Right now, I'm just displaying the newest file from the filesystem.

It seems unlikely but I was wondering if there is any way to identify what the user did once the camera started? Was a snap taken or did the user just press the back button? The best thing would probably be the path to the image that was taken but I'll take what I can get.

Thanks!

Retired
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Getting information about camera in the invoking Widget

Hi There,

From the functionality currently provided, you are doing the right thing.  We do have a "takePicture()" API planned where it would return you the picture taken if the user snapped a shot.  But right now, checking for the newest file your current best approach.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
New Developer
yadavtarun03

Good to know! Thank you.

New Developer
boxillc

Hi Tim, Any idea when the api for takepicture will be released or when users can beat test it ? Thanks
Retired
tneil

Hi boxillc,

Unfortunately I don't have any timelines that I can share with you yet :smileysad:

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
New Developer
boxillc

Tim,

Thanks. I was hoping of hearing something positive. I was hoping of being able to use widgets app which has seamless interface with the camera to port an iphone application over to the blackberry. The people I am dealing with want to get away from the iphone. At this rate the iphone will rule.

Retired
tneil

Hi boxillc,

We do have a lab that is about to come out in a few days that will show you how to wrap any of the existing Java functionality on the platform and use it in a widget.  From there all the APIs are available.  We are just working on wrapping them for you as well.

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
New Developer
boxillc

Tim,

Thanks that is great news.

New Developer
boxillc

Tim,

Will this lab come with the full set of documentation to use.  This application we want to be using blackberry, moving the iPhone app to a broader audience.

Thanks

Retired
tneil

This lab walks you through the entire process of how to wrap a Java API so that it can be used and distributed within your widget.  It actually shows you how to wrap the Alert API to make the device vibrate.

It comes with two sets of source code:

1) code to get started with for you to walk through the lab (Java and HTML/JavaScript)

2) the entire finished working example you can just use (Java and HTML/JavaScript)

The lab shows you how to make this all work with the existing Beta(s) of the Widget SDK.  You will be able to fully re-use your code when the RTM version comes out.  The RTM version has a much more elegant way to make this all happen and package up your extension for use.  The lab shows you how to make it work right now so that you don't have to wait until RTM :smileyhappy:

We have a bunch of other documentation, tutorials, labs and samples that should get you going in the right direction for BlackBerry Widget development.  If you need help tracking down specific topics you are looking for, please let us know and we'll get you the resources you need.

Cheers,

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter