Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 32GB

Guess I know now why my app isn't getting approved...

In the new simulator it's like my app is 'unstable'. At random moments the whole application just restarts?!

I also noticed that the .bar I built with the 0.9.3 SDK doesn't run at all in this new simulator. Compiling the app again results in all sorts of weird behavior I have never seen in the 0.9.3 sim.

- I can now 'scroll' the app while it used to be 'locked' in the viewport

- The app restarts randomly

I can see how this renders the app completely impossible to approve.

That said, I have no idea how full resets can be caused by 'bugs' in my javascript.

Any ideas? Anyone else with this experience?

Staff UI Prototyper (read: full-time hacker)

My BB10 apps: Screamager | Scientific RPN Calculator | The Last Weather App

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Guess I know now why my app isn't getting approved...

I am assuming your using the new sdk and the new vm,

what framework if any are you using?

is your app local or remote?

have any calls to window.location?

what calls are you using to the api if any?

I bet you'd get better responses with that info, and I might be able to replicate something if you provide more info on the app itself.

as for my app it was working horrilby until the new updates due to no params, now that its accepting params my app is Rawkin Socks! so yeah, just wanted to share that :smileyhappy:.

Developer

- WebWorks

- JQuery 1.5.0

- Mostly local 

- No window.location calls

- No specific API calls

I get:

- full app restarts

- select menus that don't do anything when you click them

- screen going black

These things are RANDOM in nature. They happen, then they don't. Hard to reproduce or define a pattern. Like the whole thing is totally unstable. No errors or whatsoever show up when using firebug lite.

Developer

Wow, thats going to be frustrating.

so the app worked fine on the previous vm, but on this one its gone wacky?

Have you tried using a previous version of the jQuery library?

in firebug what happens if you do a window.location.reload()

have you tried it without running firebug?

all your using is jQuery? so what kind of ajax calls are you running what are you doing with the data, does any of your functionality that calls ajax or a callback have any correlation to your issues?

Developer

I made a video of one of the totally WEIRD things that happen on my simulator.

My app starts with the blackberry logo animation. As you can see, when i type something in the box and hit the button, the app RESTARTS itself.

I had someone else test my .bar file and they didn't get any anomalies of this type. 

I tried completely reinstalling the VM but the behavior stays. Sometimes it works but most of the time I get this. I'm totally clueless on how to get this environment to behave right again so I can continue development :smileysad: :smileysad: :smileysad:

Developer

Hey Levi,

Yes the app was fine in 0.9.3. I have submitted a signed bar. I couldn't run that bar AT ALL in the new simulator. It would only give me a blank screen. So I went ahead and recompiled it using the 0.9.4 SDK which resulted in an app that runs but gives me all sorts of erratic behavior in the 0.9.4 sim.

I'm pretty much blocked right now from any new development (still working on the editor part) because when something weird happens there's no way to tell whether it's my code or the simulator acting out.

There's no AJAX involved in the interaction shown in the video.

Developer

Well kudos on the sweet intro :smileyhappy:

so it working on other vm's nullifies any of your code having the issue, though it might not hurt to try.
what does your vmware player log file say during these events? I'm running vmware player in linux so i cant tell you where the log is, or how to turn it on if its not default, i would imagine a command line option like --log or something.

Developer

[ Edited ]

oh yeah sorry i didnt think fully on that one, i doubt the vn will report an error unless the whoe enviroment crashed, this is sys internal, and since its reloading ....ohhhh i know

ok so use the local sqlite enviroment to write output from firebug to the db, its async so you should be able to put an event handler on the button press to init the firebug output to potentially catch the error before the app gets reloaded.

or maybe somehow you grabbed a bad release of the vm, try downloading again, or i can put mine up on one of my servers

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9650

Do you use settimeout anywhere?   I don't know exactly why - but I've seen it do some really really weird things, and crash the simulator.  (with code that runs fine in chrome)

Developer

I actually use settimeout to wait for the dom to finish loading to grab params from the url

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Web-Development/HowTo-jQuery-Mobile-ajax-fix-temporary-until-...

I explain how i use it in this post